Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013

dbmathison is on a distinguished road
Powerboater from Upper Chesapeake Bay

Yes, its true. We are actually power boaters. Weekend trips around the upper bay on various powerboats from dingy to 43ft for 15 years or so now.

But we have experinced some BVI bareboating for up to two weeks at a time. Twice on 47ft monhulls. Three times on 44ft cats. Mostly crewed, nothing too technical. Mostly motored, raised the genoa and even raised the main a few times. We absolutely love the experience.

Which brings us to why we are here... I'd like to learn more about sailing. Most of my perspective of sailing is tainted from a powerboaters view. I'm not interested in racing. Relaxing is the key for me. I'd like to just have a much better understanding and comfort on my own. I'm not giving up powerboating. I'd like to take some ceritfications and be abe to do my own bareboat vacation charters with my own crew of friends. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I know there are different bodies that do this.

Eventualy, as both my wife and I are in our early-mid 50's, I can see us purchasing a cat and spending summers here in the Chesapeake to be with family and friends and then heading to points south for the winter months and back.

Well that more than enough to introduce myself. Look forward to talking with some of you in the future.
Old 02-27-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: Powerboater from Upper Chesapeake Bay

David,

Welcome to the dark side! I grew up on powerboats. I don't miss them! In Annapolis there is the Annapolis Sailor's Club. We are a small group, with about 20 boat owners and 60 others with varying degrees of experience. Membership is $40/year, and there are opportunities to go out on lots of boats (but no cats). The Baltimore Sailing Center is closer to you and might be worth checking out. I don't know what there is further up the bay.
Joel
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2013

dbmathison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
David,

Welcome to the dark side! I grew up on powerboats. I don't miss them! In Annapolis there is the Annapolis Sailor's Club. We are a small group, with about 20 boat owners and 60 others with varying degrees of experience. Membership is $40/year, and there are opportunities to go out on lots of boats (but no cats). The Baltimore Sailing Center is closer to you and might be worth checking out. I don't know what there is further up the bay.
Joel
Hi Joel,

Thanks for the reply. We live up in Harford county (Bel Air). Most our boating originates out of Middle River. Annapolis could work for us, as it's just over an hour away. But I think I might be able to find something from Baltimore to Havre de Grace to possibly be more convienant. Most of the same sailing skills are shared on both monhull and cats. Handling character being the biggest difference. So I have no issue learning more on a monohull and taking those skills to a cat.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to SN, many users here right in your area (me included).

I just went back to the light side (monohull) after owning a Gemini catamaran for 5 years.
Haven't missed it yet, but that was last fall.

Stick around, I'm sure you'll get invites to sail.