SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Lake Ontario Sailor (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/97070-lake-ontario-sailor.html)

hamburking 02-27-2013 10:50 AM

Lake Ontario Sailor

Hi,

I live in kingston ontario canada and sail on lake ontario.
When I was younger I sailed with TBI, and was eventually XO of STV Pathfinder.

I've owned several sailboats...including:

C&C27mk2
C&C27mk4
C&C25mk1
Cal 25
Tanzer 22
Paceship 29
Hunter Legend 35.5
Pearson 30 (current)

Plus I've sailed and raced many more...from lasers to brigantines.

I've always said, its not about the boat...its about the sailing.

Although, a good boat does help alot.

bljones 02-27-2013 10:56 AM

Re: Lake Ontario Sailor

Welcome aboard, Ham. Good to see another Great Lakes sailor here.

g0twind 02-27-2013 06:12 PM

Welcome from the other side of the lake :)

How did you like the Paceship 29?

doogymon 02-27-2013 06:32 PM

Hi hamburking

Which C&C 27 did you like the best?

Cheers

Doog

hamburking 02-27-2013 11:43 PM

Hi,

Thanks for all the welcoming words! In the middle of winter, its nice to talk about sailing and sailboats.

I liked the C&C25 best. Solid boat, good layout, easy to sail. I bought this when my kids were little, and IMHO its a great boat to sail with kids. There is no line I can't just pull. If we run aground, I can just push. The outboard makes the boat safer for little hands (no engine or fuel below). I really like the C&C25. Fast, shallow draft, low maintenance, reasonably priced. For a solo sailor, or young couple, you can't go wrong.

The paceship 29 was ok. The atomic 4 would somtimes sputter and die for no reason, giving me heart palputations...but ended up being rather reliable overall. My main complaint with the paceship is that the quarter berth was too small to sleep in. I've got kids who want their own bunks...so this boat had to go. However, the shallow draft is greatly missed (I had the swing keel version). Also, the "finish" below was rather cheaply done. I pulled out the shag carpet and painted the wood floor with a quality deck paint...that helped...but too much fake wood for my tastes. Of course the new owners installed shag carpet, asap...LOL.

In late 2010, I crossed the atlantic on a 1972 swan 48 (spain to antigua). A sweet ride, but very tender. A bad crossing I'd love to tell you about some time if anyone is interested.

hamburking 02-27-2013 11:45 PM

Ohh...which C&C27 did I like best. Have to say the mk4. Bigger boat...14 inches longer than the mk2. Yanmar diesel instead of atomic4. Ball valves instead of gate valves. Breakers instead of fuses. More modern in many ways. Lots more storage. Just a newer, nicer boat overall. And fast. Really fast. More tender than the mk2, I almost always had a double reef in the main. But the speed more than made up for it. But the windows were awful....kept popping off (glued on). The mk2 had better windows. And the mk2 was like half the price of the mk4.

MikeOReilly 02-28-2013 07:57 AM

Hi from the far end of the Great Lakes. Point that Pearson north this summer and head up here to Lake Superior. If you value remote wilderness sailing, with nary a soul to be seen for days or even weeks, come north. We have some of the best cruising grounds in the world.