Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013

zieglesh is on a distinguished road
New to Sailing - HELP

So I have never sailed in my life, but I am interested in taking up the hobby. I want to buy a nice small sailboat that would be good for a beginner. I have done very little research, but I came across this listing and I am thinking about buying this boat. Any tips (buy or don't buy) would be greatly appreciated. It says its a 23 footer with a 3 foot shoal keel. Is that good or bad for a beginner. By the way I live in houston, so I would be sailing in the gulf of mexico near Galveston. Any recommended questions to ask the seller would be appreciated. Here is a description of the boat.

This is a wonderful small yacht. 3rd owner and very clean! She has a 8 H.P. 1992 Johnson outboard that runs strong. Boat was constructed in 1979. This is a shoal keel vessel with a relativly small draft of about 3 feet. She is ready to go with 4 sails, CB radio, nice cockpit cushions, battery charger, shore power and cord, plenty of lifejackets, extra ropes and much more. There is no trailer for the boat so you will need a slip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: New to Sailing - HELP

Sorry, too little detail.. Who made the boat? What material is she constructed from? What is the asking price? A link to the listing, or photos would be a big help..

Welcome to SN, by the way!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-28-2013

aelkin is on a distinguished road

Zieg;
I suspect that folks are going to want a bit more information before chiming in on this one.
What is the make/model of the boat?
What is the asking price?
What condition are the sails, who made them, what are the key characteristics? (roller furling or hank-on? What size are the foresails? reefing in the main? battens?)
Is the boat already in a slip near you? can you continue to use that slip?
What are your sailing plans? How do you want to use the boat?
Does the owner really mean a CB radio?? Or is it VHF (marine standard)?

What I CAN tell you with just the info you've provided is that a 23-foot sailboat with an outboard and a shoal draft is (generally speaking) a great sized boat for a beginner.

6 years ago, my wife and I bought a Tanzer 22 that was 'ready to go'. We spent 3 months getting to know how to sail it. It was easy to handle, quick and fun to sail, and easy to manage the amount of lines, rigging, canvas and mechanical bits....

If the boat you're looking at doesn't represent a huge percentage of your available 'recreational income', go for it.

Cheers!
Andy
Old 02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Sorry, too little detail.. Who made the boat? What material is she constructed from? What is the asking price? A link to the listing, or photos would be a big help..

Welcome to SN, by the way!

Here is a link:
houston.craigslist.org/boa/3605226510.html
Old 02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelkin View Post
Zieg;
I suspect that folks are going to want a bit more information before chiming in on this one.
What is the make/model of the boat?
What is the asking price?
What condition are the sails, who made them, what are the key characteristics? (roller furling or hank-on? What size are the foresails? reefing in the main? battens?)
Is the boat already in a slip near you? can you continue to use that slip?
What are your sailing plans? How do you want to use the boat?
Does the owner really mean a CB radio?? Or is it VHF (marine standard)?

What I CAN tell you with just the info you've provided is that a 23-foot sailboat with an outboard and a shoal draft is (generally speaking) a great sized boat for a beginner.

6 years ago, my wife and I bought a Tanzer 22 that was 'ready to go'. We spent 3 months getting to know how to sail it. It was easy to handle, quick and fun to sail, and easy to manage the amount of lines, rigging, canvas and mechanical bits....

If the boat you're looking at doesn't represent a huge percentage of your available 'recreational income', go for it.

Cheers!
Andy

Thanks for all the great questions to think about. Here is a link:
houston.craigslist.org/boa/3605226510.html
Old 02-28-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Actually it looks well kept.. but in reality there's not such thing as a firm price so don't be writing a cheque for that amount without negotiations.. and patience...

Pearson is a recognized brand, it looks clean (assuming the pics are current) and may well be worth a good look.

Here's a bit of a comparison list (not all exactly same model...)

pearson (Sail) Boats For Sale

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-28-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Z,

Pearson 23, really can't go wrong with a Pearson. Check the deck for spongy, the standing rigging for corrosion and wear, start the motor, then cut the check. Some would insist on a survey . . . not at this price.

If you haven't sailed before, take ASA 101 if you can afford the money or the time. If not, read like crazy. Sailing for Dummies (I own a copy), Sail Trim, The Complete Trailer Sailor. Watch videos, Sailing With Confidence is good. Sailing isn't rocket science, it's the application of sound judgement and common sense. If you can fix things, you probably can sail well, or well enough to get by. One absolute must, sign up and take a Sailing and Seamanship course from you local Power Squadron. Or get whatever certification you state might encourage or insist on. Something as simple as who is the privileged vessel (there is no right of way on the water) can keep you out or lots of trouble, or at least some non-verbal communication over the waves. I'd also recommend getting a trailer for it. Hauler her home makes maintenance easier, cheaper and more timely. Also, if you trailer, you load the boat and splash: no hauling stuff down the pier or rowing out. But . . . you do have to haul, step and launch.

My story in a nut shell. 16 yr old son and I decided to sail. It took me a month to grow a spine and tell my lovely bride. She thought is was a great idea. (really!??!?!? pinch me!!!!) After a month of looking, bought a Lancer 25 . . . . no trailer . . . . not truck to tow with . . . . no clue how to sail. Three weeks later, brought her home on a modified dual axle trailer with a borrowed truck. After a winter of studying, videos and 15 weeks of Sailing and Seamanship at a local college (and the certification that goes along), we motored passed the jetty and I hanked on a jib for the first time. 1500 nm and many comical mishaps later, we're still at it. If you can look at my old posts, look for my first captains log, or maybe the York Beach swim in. How about the time we set in the mud while all the other boats has swung with the tide.

These are MY stories!!!!! Go make your own!!!