SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New Member in Maine (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/97117-new-member-maine.html)

Midnightmail 02-28-2013 12:58 PM

New Member in Maine

I'm a new member currently living in Belfast, Maine. I cruised for years, single handed, in a Crealock 37 named Midnight Mail. Now I'm married and sailing locally around Penobscot Bay in a Cape Dory 27. My wife and I are now looking to purchase a Pacific Seacraft 40 for more extended cruising

DonScribner 02-28-2013 01:26 PM

Re: New Member in Maine

Midnight,

Welcome to the asylum. I'll be picking you brain about the bay. We normally sail out of Portland so with a 6 day sailing window, that gets us to Port Clyde and back. This year, we're planning on sailing dead up wind at 60 knots to Camden. The conversion factor is 1 hr/1 day. So, if you have any recommended secluded spots for a quiet couple to drop anchor for the night, I'd appreciate it. Tim R. has given me some good ones already but the more options the better.

Fair Winds and pray for an early spring

Don

Midnightmail 02-28-2013 01:34 PM

Don,

Here are some of my favorite anchorages along the way, some of which I'm sure you already know about.

Long Cove at Tenant's Harbor - well protected and mostly quiet
Rockland Harbor - plenty of room to anchor, choosing a corner based on wind direction
Warren Island - free moorings and park just inside Gilkey Harbor
Holbrook Harbor - beautiful spot near Castine
Pulpit Harbor - north side of North Haven
Anywhere in Merchant's Row

If you have plans to get further than that, let me know. I've gone east as far as Newfoundland a few times.

Happy sailing.

Chris

Midnightmail 02-28-2013 03:39 PM

Don,

I see now that I hadn't read your message carefully enough and that you'll be driving to Camden. Si ignore my notes about Tenants and Rockland. Tim's comments were all spot on.

Chris

DonScribner 02-28-2013 06:41 PM

Chris,

Thanks so much. I use Goggle maps and check all these places out. We also have the Maine Cruising Guide by the Tafts. Very informative but there are all these nice little places that other folks have discovered that aren't included. I'm really looking forward to the trip. Love being on the water, waking to the gurgle of ebbing tides and screeching gulls. Nothing like it. Unless you're keel deep in mud, the tide has changed and all the other boats have turned as witness to the tide . . . but you. And when you finally do break loose you swear you can hear chortles and the sound of money changing hands coming from the town dock. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Fair Winds

Don

Midnightmail 02-28-2013 07:02 PM

Some places you just have to find on your own.