SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New sailboat owner! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/97120-new-sailboat-owner.html)

Hjrhinehart 02-28-2013 04:31 PM

New sailboat owner!

Hi, I just bought my first sailboat!! It is a 1960 cal 25. I paid 250.00 is that to much? Any help!!

chuck53 02-28-2013 05:15 PM

Re: New sailboat owner!

Might be high, might be low....all depends on the condition of the boat and what comes with it.
You might have picked up a real bargain or you might have a money pit that will cost you way more than $250.
Anyway, it's only $250. Give us more details of the boat and what needs to be done to it, if anything.
What do you want to know

Hjrhinehart 02-28-2013 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am not sure what to look for! I bought the boat on a last minute thing.
Was not even looking! But The opprtinity was there so I jumped.

Hjrhinehart 02-28-2013 06:08 PM

A pick! It is in long beach. If anyone would like to show me how to sail it I would be gratefully.

Hjrhinehart 02-28-2013 06:48 PM

Boat

Hjrhinehart 02-28-2013 06:49 PM

Picks not loading sorry!

DonScribner 02-28-2013 06:51 PM

HJ,

Often, there is nothing more expensive than a free boat! Or, you may have gotten the deal of a life time. Pick up a checklist on what to check out when buying a boat. The guys here will be more than happy to deluge you with advice, mostly good and all well meant. But a concise list of showstoppers would help you out. And, it the boat is worthy of a little elbow grease and investment, start the adventure of a life time! I would leave JR with the in-laws for a season or two. If you can afford it, take some lesson ASA 101 for starters. At very least, Sailing for Dummies is good and watch sailing videos like crazy. Also, don't leave the harbor without a course/certification in Sailing and Seamanship from the local power squadron. Too many idiots out there, and some of them sail. Other than that, make sure the kids grow up on the water. I missed that target, started too late. Looks like you're right on time.

Regards,

Don

chuck53 02-28-2013 06:57 PM

I don't know about California, but most states require you take a boating safety class. Even if it's not required, I strongly suggest taking one and follow up with a sailing and seamanship class. Check with both the Coast Guard Aux and the US Power Squadron for available classes.
For sure, you need someone to show you the ropes of boating/sailing. Do you have any boating savvy friends to help?
Where are you keeping the boat? trailer, mooring, marina?

Hjrhinehart 02-28-2013 07:05 PM

I am in a slip right know! I know that some work need to be done. Rubber needs to be replaced. It has a motor! Sails are good!

Hjrhinehart 02-28-2013 07:14 PM

No friends to help!