Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DonScribner
  • 1 Post By Cruisingdad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013

BlkOnyx488 is on a distinguished road
Must Leave Land

Hello All,
Just wanted to say hey, I am here because my DH is going to be retiring from the Military in 7 years, and we have two boys who in 7 years my oldest will be close to graduating highschool and hopefully on his way to harvard on a scholarship LOL. My youngest will probably still be in his bedroom playing with beavers and trains, (I can't see him ever growing out of that). So we are hoping to create a senario where we can survive off my DH's retirement and maybe some parttime work. Living in Northern VA after he retires is not my idea of a good time $$$$
Anyway we are seriously considering ditching our home for a Houseboat. At this point we are 100% novice, utter virgins when comes to living on the water.

So we decided we have 7 years to become experts , Or atleast not look like total idiots when we finally sail into our retirement neighborhood.

We are interested in vacationing on houseboats in different Marinas and states to shop around and see what works best for us. so if you know of some great places to visit that could also become a potential live-aboard please let us know.

I am sure we are going to stay on the East Coast, I like the idea of being able to sail to the bahamas whenever we feel like it. I would like to be in an area where we don't have to drive to get everywhere. We are extremely active so biking and running trails would be awesome. Internet would be a must we don't watch tv much, (I can't miss The Walking Dead) but we like to know what's happening in the world.

So being a total novice we will need to know everything, I apologize in advance for all the stupid questions I will be asking. I will try to search the archives as much as possible. I am quick study well faster than my Husband so hopefully I will not get on anyone's nerves too much!

A few major Questions, when a Hurricane is coming do you evacuate everytime?
Do you keep a place a land for just such emergencies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Must Leave Land

Welcome to SailNet.

First, sailboat and houseboat: two vastly different animals.

For the sake of continued conversation, do you mean that you'll be living on a sailboat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Welcome to SailNet.

First, sailboat and houseboat: two vastly different animals.

For the sake of continued conversation, do you mean that you'll be living on a sailboat?
I am new to this so I am learning. I would like something can move around
Old 03-12-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

"Houseboat" is normally what you call those big, smelly, noisy, behemoths that have living rooms and bedrooms rather than salons and berths.

If you want to survive on this site, use the term "live aboard" and you'll get plenty of sound advice from many great people, many of whom are veterans. We are, after all, an opinionated lot!

Unwarranted snootiness aside, as a fellow veteran, I say pull the trigger now. Buy a larger trailerable and get out there. I say trailerable for three reasons 1) They are lower cost and more flexible so entering in to the life is cheaper. 2) If you find that you really don't like sailing (sacrilege) you can sell the boat and take a small loss 3) You can get the boys to fall in love with sailing now. This will pay huge dividends in the future.

With a larger boat, there are some pretty significant costs associated with ownership. Hauling, painting, storage, slip fees, maintenance. This would be more palatable if this WAS your home. While you're looking into it, you might ask folks to ball-park you on those types of costs.

Don
BlkOnyx488 likes this.
Old 03-12-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Houseboats can move around, but need very protected water. I personally think if more people bought house boats that never leave the marina versus blue water sailboats that never leave the marina, they would still be living aboard their house boats versus ditching living aboard as too uncomfortable!!

If you want the comforts and space of a small condo, I would suggest a trawler or maybe a catamaran. You can get a nice trawler to take up and down the east coast and the Bahamas for 100-200k.

If you want more freedom and enjoy sailing, or think you might, consider a sailboat. Best deals and most space will be a production boat and thgat will take you to the Bahamas easy.

There are a million things to discuss here, so probably best you ask them in General Discussion where you will get more answers.

Brian

PS When a hurricane is coming, we generally evacuate. Others do not. Our personal tolerance is for a med-strong TS depending on how close it will get. When it reaches Hurricane status, depending on its speed and projected surge, we leave. I would personally never do another Hurricane on the boat. Scary business. That is what insurance is for.
BlkOnyx488 likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-12-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

My comments in this font and red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkOnyx488 View Post
Hello All,
Just wanted to say hey, I am here because my DH What is a DH? - Divorced Husband? is going to be retiring from the Military in 7 years, and we have two boys who in 7 years my oldest will be close to graduating highschool and hopefully on his way to harvard on a scholarship LOL. My youngest will probably still be in his bedroom playing with beavers and trains, (I can't see him ever growing out of that). 7 year old playing with beavers? - could you explain that? I could hazard a guess... but this is not that kind of site... So we are hoping to create a senario where we can survive off my DH's retirement and maybe some parttime work. Living in Northern VA after he retires is not my idea of a good time $$$$
Anyway we are seriously considering ditching our home for a Houseboat. At this point we are 100% novice, utter virgins when comes to living on the water.

So we decided we have 7 years to become experts , Or atleast not look like total idiots when we finally sail into our retirement neighborhood.
Two great things - you have recognized that you need to learn, and you have a plan! Great!!
We are interested in vacationing on houseboats in different Marinas and states to shop around and see what works best for us. so if you know of some great places to visit that could also become a potential live-aboard please let us know.

I am sure we are going to stay on the East Coast, I like the idea of being able to sail to the bahamas whenever we feel like it. I would like to be in an area where we don't have to drive to get everywhere. We are extremely active so biking and running trails would be awesome. Internet would be a must we don't watch tv much, (I can't miss The Walking Dead) but we like to know what's happening in the world.
The marina in which I keep my vessel is in Rhode Island. It is on a walking/biking trail, and free internet! They also allow live-aboards. This is NOT uncommon. There was a couple in my marina last year that had a 60' houseboat that they transited down from Boston. It had; 3 bedrooms, a large salon, a HUGE bimini covered upper deck, Central air, and a jacuzzi!
So being a total novice we will need to know everything, I apologize in advance for all the stupid questions I will be asking. I will try to search the archives as much as possible. I am quick study well faster than my Husband so hopefully I will not get on anyone's nerves too much!

A few major Questions, when a Hurricane is coming do you evacuate everytime? That depends on the vessel. My boat is happiest in the water. When a boat is hauled, there is always the danger that 125+MPH winds may topple her, or one of her neighbors over onto her. I figure that as long as the storm surge is less than 12 feet, she is OK in her slip, tied to her neighbor. If the surge were predicted to be over 12 feet, I would seriously consider tripling the anchor, and setting her out in the harbor.
Do you keep a place a land for just such emergencies?

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Houseboats can move around, but need very protected water. I personally think if more people bought house boats that never leave the marina versus blue water sailboats that never leave the marina, they would still be living aboard their house boats versus ditching living aboard as too uncomfortable!!

If you want the comforts and space of a small condo, I would suggest a trawler or maybe a catamaran. You can get a nice trawler to take up and down the east coast and the Bahamas for 100-200k.

If you want more freedom and enjoy sailing, or think you might, consider a sailboat. Best deals and most space will be a production boat and thgat will take you to the Bahamas easy.

There are a million things to discuss here, so probably best you ask them in General Discussion where you will get more answers.

Brian

PS When a hurricane is coming, we generally evacuate. Others do not. Our personal tolerance is for a med-strong TS depending on how close it will get. When it reaches Hurricane status, depending on its speed and projected surge, we leave. I would personally never do another Hurricane on the boat. Scary business. That is what insurance is for.
Thanks Brian i have decided we need at least a 40 - 45ft trawler, I think evacuating is a good idea but if you had a few days notice could you sail out of the storms way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
My comments in this font and red.
DH is Military speak for Dear Husband.

Toy beavers not the real things lol

I have decided to send the whole family 2 boating school we start in April.

Rhode Island sounds nice but I have decided I hate cold weather. So we will stay in warm places maybe we can sail there doing the summer months.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.