Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bljones

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013

fluknick is on a distinguished road
New to Sailnet and Sailboats !

Hey all,

I would like to introduce myself !
Hey, I am Nick.
I've not ever been a boat owner, and only sailed on a small boat with a knowledgable friend.

Soooo....
I bought a project boat, an Ensenada 20.
The interior was stripped by the previous owner due to rot.
The standing rigging is mostly complete.
The keel, hardware and cable were just redone.
The sails are incorrect, monsterously too large.
The sheets / lines are non existant ( I would like to assemble from used $$$ ).

That said, I will have numerous questions regarding sheeting equip and general info, and I thank all that are willing to answer- in advance !

Pics are not attached....post count rule.

Best regards,
Nick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: New to Sailnet and Sailboats !

Welcome aboard, Nick.

You're sure to find many opinions around here, and you'll usually find a few good answers buried in there as well.

Don't be timid about pinging the masses -- we were all new boat owners once

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39

Last edited by PorFin; 03-16-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Welcome aboard.
You know buying a boat is a stupid idea, right?
and buying a project boat is an even stupider idea, right?
And all your friends, and your parents, and your significant other have told you it is a stupid idea, right?
You're in the right place- we enable stupid ideas daily.
We'rte like a support group for bad intentions- sorta SailOn- AndOn.
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2013

fluknick is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome !

The boat idea was regarded as stupid....so that was pretty funny ( and ironic ).
I am pretty handy, but still know one wants to acknowledge it
A hole in the water where you throw money !?
Hahahahah.....just recently heard that !

Nick
Old 03-16-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

When I bought our boat, my father in law explained to me that sailing was very similar to standing fully dressed under a cold shower whilst tearing up dollar bills. Or, as I read somewhere ... BOAT = Bring On Another Thousand (dollars)

Welcome to the Forum !
Old 03-16-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Nick,

Congrats on the new boat! Good thing it wasn't free. There's nothing more expensive than a free boat! Once rebuilt, she'll be lot's of fun for you. If you have shallow pockets, look for good deals. When I replace my lines, I go to Ebay (off season) and troll. Another good place is your local marine store. I go to Hamilton Marine and fish thru their rope ends bin. I bought 48' of 3/8 StaSet for $6. How can you go wrong? The sails, consider cutting them yourself (if you can sew). The folks at Sailrite.com can help out. Probably 4 hours per sail, leaving the bolt rope intact. Sail material isn't very thick so your basic Singer machine can do most of it with no problem.

Other than that, have a great time and welcome to the asylum!

Don
Old 03-16-2013

minnow1193 is on a distinguished road
Welcome again Nick! Posted on your other thread regarding your running rigging. Keep posting. Would love to help with your project.

Steve
Old 03-16-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Welcome!

You mentioned that the boat's interior was stripped due to rot. Have you found and sealed the source of the leaks? Have you inspected the lateral supports (bulkheads, stringers, etc.) for any additional damage? Is she still in the water or on land?

Older boats used a lot of wood (some sandwiched it between the fiberglass in the hull to provide strength, most use it in the decking, too) for structural strength, and it's important to find and replace as much of the rotten wood as possible (especially the rotten wood in those areas) BEFORE you start sailing her. If the chainplates are bolted to a rotten bulkhead and pull through, your mast could come crashing down while you're out.

Yeah, I know, nothing like a little "doom and gloom" to brighten your day! Sorry, I try not to make a first post a negative one, but in your case, I just wanted to make sure you knew to be careful.

Oh! As I scrolled back up, I saw that you mentioned that the sheets aren't there - GOOD! That means you can't be saiing her. I'd recommend not buying used lines for your sheets - it won't cost you much more, and you'll be able to know more about their age and condition that way. Blocks/pulleys/etc. can be found at reasonable prices through a variety of vendors (I've bought from Garhauer and been pleased with them).

Have you ever sewn? Will you be altering the sails yourself or sending them to a loft?

You're in for a wild ride, but when it's done, if you take your time and do it right, I'm sure you'll have a boat to be proud of.

Again, welcome aboard!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 03-17-2013

campuscab is on a distinguished road
Stupid idea

I hear tons of people say boughts,are,stupid and a head ache but I firmly disagree. I am new to sailing. I had a laser that was beat that I bought from a hippie doctor for $100.00 and had a blast. I have owned many power boats and made noney one all but one. Everyone was a project and I had fun with them all. I should be ok on this one but maybe not. I like it and might end up spending more than I should.
I have rules,
I buy very cheap.(often donation boats)
I do not get attached. (another rule broken)
I do not buy many new parts.(boat junk yards or,whole damaged boats are a good source.
I will scrap a boat in a split second. I parted out a Jet boat once. I was lucky.
All that being said I think this little Cal 20 I bought is going to be the most fun I have,ever had. The had 40 boats under 5k and I picked this one. I could have got one tricked out race,ready for more but I wanted this one and I want to set it up my way. I saw a potter 19 that was set up to cruise and it was one of the coolest boats I have ever saw. I am going to play around the Great lakes, do sone racing on Lake St. Clair, Then trailer it to Florida and go to the Bahamas for a month or two. So what will that be worth I could not rent a camper for that price, or a charter, or a hotel room. The way I see it if you have fun you can't go wrong.
Old 03-21-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

Welcome! I just purchased my first cruiser a W27. I'm right there with you. Asking lots of questions and reading everything I can get my hands on about sailing.