Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013

TuurboSpaggetti is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via MSN to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via Yahoo to TuurboSpaggetti
Brand new sailor-to-be

Hello all,

Just joined the forum to ask some questions along the way to purchasing my first sailboat.

Me:
I live in the suburbs of Chicago and work as an IT analyst for an office supply company. I'm also a big moped (not scooter) enthusiast.

The dream:
I plan/hope to sail largely on Lake MI, however the boat will be stored on trailer/cradle and towed for at least this season. Slips enter the budget next year haha. I have several experienced sailing friends to help me learn, and its a process I'm very excited about.

Looking for something at least 22 or 23 feet, and CHEAP. Budgeting 1500 for the purchase price of the boat and trailer, less is even better.

Any advice on what craft I should be shopping for (and tips for when I'm looking at the boat) would be a HUGE help.

Hope to see you on the water!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2013

Send a message via ICQ to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via MSN to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via Yahoo to TuurboSpaggetti
Re: Brand new sailor-to-be

I should make it clear that I know there will be work involved with a boat of that price range, and I'm excited to tackle that too. (expect more questions haha)
Old 03-16-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

TS,

Pick up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert. He covers all the aspects of trailer sailing but most importantly, he has specs, drawings, photos, pros and cons for about 50 trailerables in the back of the book. This can help you decide what you like, dislike and can't live without. As far as price, shoot a little higher. For about $4k, you'll get a really well preserved boat in your size. If you cheap out, you'll pay more (in repairs and refit) plus you'll miss the time sailing. To make matters even worse, you may get discouraged and give up altogether. That, my friend, would be sad.

As for me, we trailer our boat every weekend. She's a 25 footer and a bit heavy but worth the sweat. So, with my oodles of experience (yeah, right) let me suggest a couple of things to look for.

1) Check the rigging for corrosion and "meat hooks"
2) Check the sails for shape, cleanliness and crispness
3) Does the boat have an enclosed head? (huge with the ladies . . . and me)
4) Is the boat sail-worthy as she stands or is there a huge amount of work to do?
5) Can this work be done one week nights and not keep you from the water?
6) Consider "dry sailing" - keeping her on her trailer at a marina
7) Take a course in Sailing Skills ans Seamanship for the local power squadron

Post pics when you bite.

Don,
Maine
Old 03-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Welcome aboard. Any moped enthusiast has the correct combination of self-effacing cool and quixotic pursuit of maximizing slow speed potential for sailing.

Under 15 bills, you need to be proactive not reactive.
At a bottom-feeder price point, you haven't got the luxury of responding to CL ads and wandering boatyards. At that price you will always be too late.
Instead, place a wanted ad:
"new sailor looking for first sailboat. Need a boat between 20 and 23 feet, the older the better, trailer preferred, some TLC required is okay. What have you got?"
By being proactive instead of reactive, you may pull in sellers who hadn't advertised yet, sellers who had taken their boats off the market, and sellers who didn;t even realize they were selling, but your ad soundedl ike the voice of a sincere young man, yadda yadda.
Find out what the seller wants, take a look at the boat if itiinterests you, and if it rings all the bells, start haggling.

have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

$1500 for an older Catalina 22, O'Day 23, etc. that's in sailable, but not "pristine," condition may not be unreasonable at the end of this season. I think you may be hard pressed, though, to find one for that price that includes the trailer. I'd suggest trying to stretch your budget a bit, too. Start looking now, but take a few extra months and save a few more dollars. If you find something now that's in your range, great! But if you can get to about $2000-$2500, I think you're more likely to find a decent boat that won't need a whole lot more than elbow grease to meet your needs.

I'm a "budget" buyer, and I can appreciate that some times you're willing to spend $1500 now for a boat, even though you know it's going to take another $3000 to fix it up, because she's in sailable condition now and the other changes/enhancements/etc., can be done incrementally. That's the approach I've taken with both of my boats. But, I have to tell you, it's amazing how much an extra few hundred dollars gets you; it is disproportionate to the actual value of the work/equipment the current owner has put into the boat. You'll probably see a 1.5-2x multiplier, and possibly more.

The best time to buy a boat is when nobody else wants to buy - that's at the end of the season. If you can hold out that long, you'll be even more likely to find something in your budget. No, you won't be able to SAIL it for too long before it gets too cold, but, on the plus side, you'll have several months to handle some of the repairs/maintenance before she's back in the water. Personally, I'd MUCH rather buy a fixer-upper at the end of the season and work my butt off all winter fixing her than to buy her in the spring and "waste" the spring and part of the summer trying to get her ready.

Anyway...welcome to Sailnet! You'll get lots of opinions, and lots of suggestions, and some might even be useful!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2013

campuscab is on a distinguished road
I looked at hundreds of boats before picking my Cal 20. I paid 1k but no trailer or motor so it will be more like 2 when I am done. I took a couple of months to decide what I wanted and needed. Around 2 to 3 there were a ton of choices many 27 and up. I wanted to be able to move mine at times but keep it in a slip most of the time. I got a slip on the Detroit River for 750 for the year.
So ask questions here and when you see something you like get some input. This site i like because there are not as many people that think you need 250k to buy a good boat. Figure out where you want to go who will be with you how long etc. If you want Lake Michigan 27 or up is best but not a rule Black Feathers went to Hawaii and Lone Gull was on the Atlantic for 19 days. Both Cal 20s. Comfort is another choice to make. I am a cab driver so 20 feet is like a house after spending 12 years in the front of a crown vic. My kids night not agree so see if I have a 32 by the end of summer. The most umportant thing is to do it and get on the water. I have had I hour of instruction, two online courses, 12 books, three summers daysailing, and am just starting to learn. I am always willing to take advise and my boat is always open. I was suprised to learn how many people can sail that do not own a boat. It is a,great way to make friends. So have fun and enjoy learning
Old 03-17-2013

So many things to respond to! This looks like a great community to be a part of!

I actually settled on that price point based on boats I've looked at (not just on the internet haha) and work I want to put in; for me that's part of the fun, and a sort of built-in financing plan. I have seen several Cal 20s well within my price range as well as oday 23s, probably 2/3 of which were ready to sail or a few pieces of rigging/a sail away from ready to sail and with trailers.

Any opinions as to whether a cal 20 would be appropriate for Lake MI sailing?

Also, are there any Detroit folks on this forum?

Last edited by TuurboSpaggetti; 03-17-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2013

John B is on a distinguished road

I am a new sailor also, I got my first boat cheap just by asking around.who has a boat that they haven't used in a few yrs. and is paying slip fees for it. You will find a lot of people are in this situation. Make them an offer.good luck
Old 03-17-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Campuscab, welcome aboard!
It's good to see another Detroit River sailor onboard. I lived aboard on the River for a while between wives, and still love the area. Upside- great skyline at night and the best seat for freedom festival fireworks. the downside- the fragrance of Zug island.

Old 03-19-2013

Does anyone have any advice on trailering any of the following?:

Oday 23

Columbia 22 or 23 (23 with shoal keel)