Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: New Sailer Looking for Sage Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Travelling 1200 miles down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, two of the waterways with the heaviest vessel traffic in the world and the most difficult inland navigation, ...
Regardless of the type of boat, won't the lowered water level from the drought make it even more congested as more barges and powerboats have less space in which to maneuver?

A few years ago I had a 17-YO young lady take my boating course as her dream was to build a raft and travel the length of the Mississippi with a few of her friends. Her dad supported her and took the class, too. I think I heard that she did it. You might consider a raft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
A few years ago I had a 17-YO young lady take my boating course as her dream was to build a raft and travel the length of the Mississippi with a few of her friends. Her dad supported her and took the class, too. I think I heard that she did it. You might consider a raft.
Were her friends named Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn and Big Jim?
DRFerron likes this.
Old 03-18-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebow View Post
I don't have any specific boat in mind at the moment. I do know so far that I want at least two mains, two jibs, a motor and a place to sleep. That's as specific as my requirements are at the moment.
Joe,
You have to help us out here. When you say 2 mains, do you mean 2 masts or 2 separate main sails for 1 mast?
A place to sleep is good, but I assume you need to cook, have refrigeration to keep food and a place to go to the bathroom. Do you want to be able to stand up in the boat or can you live in a stooped position? Tell us the amenities you need.

Most of us have one main sail that can be reefed (shortened) when wind is high and again, most of us have 1 jib on roller furling that again, can be shortened when wind is high.

Motor - inboard (diesel or gas) or outboard? Again, on narrow winding rivers, you're going to be doing a lot more motoring than sailing. I suggest an inboard diesel.

When do you plan to make this trip and how much time are you going to give it?

One other thing to keep in mind. Going down river is no problem. You can do that on a raft as the current will carry you. Going back up river is going to be the problem. You're going to need a decent engine that can fight the current.

Last edited by chuck53; 03-18-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2013

joebow is on a distinguished road

My first thought was a main per mast, a place to sleep, eat and use the restroom. I'm not sure how long it will take nor am I really sold on those specs for the boat. I just needed a logical place to start. As for the motor it will be inside but I'm not sure of the pros and cons of gas vs des at the moment. Date of the trip is not been picked yet as I am going to do several other shorter runs first, many of which will consist of working with locks simply because those are the biggest issues I face in my mind at the moment. I am sure it will be difficult but to me that is even better reason to do it.
Old 03-18-2013

Well, you will be looking at no less than 25'. I don't know of any boat smaller than that with an inboard and even then, they are few and far between. Most inboards are 27' and up. Most sailboats these days have diesels but some older boats may still have the old Atomic 4 gas engine. I've never had one but I understand they were fairly reliable and easy to work on. Still, diesels are they way to go.
I'm obviously partial to Catalinas, and a good place to start would be a Catalina 25, if you can find any with inboards or the Catalina 27. You'll find quite a few 27's with inboards.
They are very good boats, very popular and thousands of each were made.

Last edited by chuck53; 03-18-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebow View Post
My first thought was a main per mast, a place to sleep, eat and use the restroom... As for the motor it will be inside but I'm not sure of the pros and cons of gas vs des at the moment.
The Chesapeake workboats have a cool, gritty look with the engine on top of the open cockpit floor, covered by a removable box, so you might want to re-think the engine inside preference.

I have also wondered why one doesn't just install the restroom outside, like a green Don's John bolted to the cockpit floor of a large boat. Get's the odor out of the cabin and promotes circulation in the restroom.

I think we may be looking at a custom 2-masted boat here!
Old 03-18-2013
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
suggestion

Joe,

Rather than dictating things you're a little beyond yourself on (I had a ketch; we kept the main on the mainmast, and the mizzen on the mizzen. A second main wouldn't have fit well on the mizzen. In some 20 years of two mast obsession I've seen exactly one schooner with equal masts, and it didn't even have two mainsails!) you might consider seeing what's out there for cheap on craigslist.

A few thousand $ could find you the boat that might fulfil your dreams. Come back here with candidates and the nice folks will help you evaluate. Your initial criteria are pretty good: a head, a galley, a berth. Rules out some tiny pocket cruisers and daysailors. Might add standing headroom, and figure out draft limitations. 5' will do you on the canal systems in Ontario I believe, but I think Mark Twain's riverboats drew less than 2'.

Sorry, not many double masters made in the last 50 years under 35' or so - no need to split the rig. I had one, but it wasn't a comfortable cruising boat
Old 03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
I'm obviously partial to Catalinas, and a good place to start would be a Catalina 25, if you can find any with inboards or the Catalina 27. You'll find quite a few 27's with inboards.
They are very good boats, very popular and thousands of each were made.
I think I'm wrong about the C-25 being available with an inboard engine. Looks like the smallest Catalina with inboard would be the C-27.
Old 03-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Chuck, you aren't wrong, but C25s with inboards are rare.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Chuck, you aren't wrong, but C25s with inboards are rare.
Thanks Jim for the verification. I thought I had seen a C25 some years ago with an inboard but I did some digging on the internet and couldn't find anything to support my memory.
Anyway, there are plenty of 27's with inboards.

It would be nice to hear back from joebow on this.

Last edited by chuck53; 03-19-2013 at 03:52 PM.