Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013

joebow is on a distinguished road
Re: New Sailer Looking for Sage Advice

Ultimately no sail boat, at this point, is out of the realm of possibilities so long as it can support an extended stay and won't accompany me to the bottom of the river. I've been cruising Craigslist for a few days just seeing whats out there and can get, what appears to be, some good deals. Like I said, at this point in time i'm all about getting some book knowledge; following that i'll be taking a basic and intermediary course on sailing at the local club. Charter a few sail boats to get a better feel for the various options and then work on some creative financing options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013
Tampa Bay's Newest Sailor

tparoxtar is on a distinguished road

My advice? Look out for debris! That river is littered with trees, logs and other fun stuff to crack your hull.
Old 06-08-2013

Windclimber is on a distinguished road

Get a copy of River-Horse by William Least Heat Moon (who wrote the bestseller Blue Highways years ago.) When he's not going off on tangents he tells the story of crossing the country by small boat, east to west, portaging by trailer when he has to.

The Mississippi delta is not just a few divergent branches and then a pop into the sea - take a good look at some charts and Google maps! And there's some serious commercial shipping there, so MAKE SURE you can get out of the way!

Also, if you're planning to go "to the ocean and back" but not out on the ocean, a sailboat is probably not your best choice for the river, especially coming back up! These days it's amazing how much powerboat you can get for a few thousand, and on the return trip, going against the current for 1200 miles, you're going to need a little power. I'm a sailboat-er, for sure, but on the river, since you're not going to be doing any appreciable sailing anyway, a powerboat would have much more living space and be more comfortable.
PS - Originally I come from Pittsburgh, up the Allegheny from the Ohio, so I've been on that water. There aren't nearly as many barges traveling there as I remember (is "Rocket" still rolling?), but damn, I'd really, really hate trying to both keep my keel out of the slurpy muddy banks and keep my "sailboats have right of way" with a barge!

Good luck, and remember, an adventure is never, ever what one expects: that's the rule!
Old 06-08-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Guys, the OP hasn't posted in 2-1/2 months. I doubt he's even on SN anymore.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.