SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New Sailer Looking for Sage Advice (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/97651-new-sailer-looking-sage-advice.html)

joebow 03-17-2013 03:15 PM

New Sailer Looking for Sage Advice

Salutations! I am new to sailing and looking to get a lot of advice here. My first major sailing trip I will be doing is to sail down the ohio river to the ocean and back. Everything I do will be focused on making that happen. I look forward to hearing you all!

DRFerron 03-17-2013 03:36 PM

Re: New Sailer Looking for Sage Advice

Welcome to SailNet, Joe. That's an interesting trip. There is an endless supply of advice in this forum. Go check out the Learning to Sail section and spend some time reading the other forums. Guaranteed you'll have plenty of questions after just a few hours.

Best of luck with your journey.

chuck53 03-17-2013 03:53 PM

Not trying to squash your dreams, but narrow, winding rivers like the Ohio really aren't good sailing rivers, not that it can't be done. Most likely, you will find yourself motoring a lot more than sailing.
What kind, size boat are you planning to make this trip with?

campuscab 03-17-2013 04:11 PM

Motoring down the Erie Canal sounds fun. It is on my bucket list. The Mississippi sounds like more work. The Canal seems to be a bit tamer, shorter, and cool towns along the way.

Silvio 03-17-2013 05:40 PM

Welcome aboard.
Plenty of advice around here, don't if any of it will be sage!
Stick around, ask questions, have a good time.

joebow 03-18-2013 07:24 AM

I don't have any specific boat in mind at the moment. I do know so far that I want at least two mains, two jibs, a motor and a place to sleep. That's as specific as my requirements are at the moment.

davidpm 03-18-2013 08:54 AM

Two mains and two jibs are an unusual requirement. Usually means an older classic boat and typically on the bigger size.
Any specific reason or do you just like the look.
The reason the older boats had that configuration was because before dacron sails and modern cordage they tried to keep the sails smaller because the larger ones would not hold their shape.
Also everything was heavier and winches were not yet standard.
Modern materials makes more efficient sail plans standard and half as complicated and fewer parts makes them less expensive.
The old schooner and ketches/yawls are sure pretty though.

Some of us are willing to have a boat that is harder to sail, more expensive to maintain and doesn't sail as well to have the old time look.

jameswilson29 03-18-2013 09:56 AM

Travelling 1200 miles down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, two of the waterways with the heaviest vessel traffic in the world and the most difficult inland navigation, in a two masted sailboat sounds like a reasonable first goal for a novice sailor to me!

It would be even more fun in a wooden boat!

jimgo 03-18-2013 10:27 AM

In the OP's defense, I read that to mean a back-up main and a back-up jib (or something like a 100 and a 130). If I'm wrong and he's talking about a schooner or ketch, then I'm with you James.

deltaten 03-18-2013 10:28 AM

Hmmm????

Sounds like a candidate for a Sea Pearl to me
:D