SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   evening all (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/97935-evening-all.html)

captmayhem 03-27-2013 09:23 PM

evening all

British expat, lived and worked around the world, finally settled in the good old US of A. Been a longggggg time wanna be boater, finally have the means and am working on convincing the wife that THIS.....THIS will be the best waste of time and money yet :)
Lots and lots of questions, first thing I have to do is get the family wet and out on the water!
Been lurking here for a few months, love the atmosphere in here and look forward to asking a millions already asked questions :)

mikel1 03-27-2013 10:51 PM

Re: evening all

Welcome aboard! Ask away! Very helpful group . . . . and a few showoffs . . .

SolSailor 03-27-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captmayhem (Post 1008821)
... working on convincing the wife that THIS.....THIS will be the best waste of time and money yet :)

Love it!! Welcome and good luck with your journey into the best hobby ever!

CalebD 03-27-2013 11:19 PM

Welcome to sailnut, expat!
Ask away. We are all ears.
Cheers.

captmayhem 03-29-2013 09:27 PM

thanks guys, booking sailing lessons for the daughter and I this spring.
she's 7, her brother is 3!!! I'm thinking about a dingy big enough for me the wife and the kids at first, my eye is really on a beneteau 34, but that's a year away at best.
Got to get the wife "onboard" first,lol
my real issue is living in the frozen norrth east, I just don't see the fun in sailing round NY, jeebus, I try to avoid driving round it :)

colenvcete69 03-30-2013 10:44 AM

Hello, I am new member of this forum. Thanks all.

DonScribner 03-30-2013 02:02 PM

X,

Welcome to the asylum. And . . . we prefer the term "the Colonies".

Don

FinallySailing 03-30-2013 04:58 PM

Welcome to the mutual sailing addicts support group from old Blighty :)

jimgo 03-31-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 1008866)
Welcome to sailnut, expat!
Ask away. We are all ears.
Cheers.

Hey! Some of us have brains, too.

CaptainMayhem, welcome aboard! My boys are 7 and 4 (soon to be 5). I see that you're a little northwest of me. Where will you be doing your local sailing? We're going to be on Peace Valley using an old Albacore that I picked up on Craigslist for cheap. Our "big boat" will be out on Barnegat Bay this summer, if I can get her there.

captmayhem 03-31-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimgo (Post 1010407)
Hey! Some of us have brains, too.

CaptainMayhem, welcome aboard! My boys are 7 and 4 (soon to be 5). I see that you're a little northwest of me. Where will you be doing your local sailing? We're going to be on Peace Valley using an old Albacore that I picked up on Craigslist for cheap. Our "big boat" will be out on Barnegat Bay this summer, if I can get her there.

Nockamixon, then somewhere down around MD for the cruising I hope.
Looking hard for a boat right now, 32-34' really like the look of the beneteau's inside and out.
But will end up with what ever fits the wallet I'm sure.
last time I sailed was my honeymoon, took the wife out on a hobby cat,lol
I swear the wrinkles have yet to clear from her face, we did actually submarine the thing, caught a wave and it just went down right up to the tiller. Bobbed back up straight away but that was the end of that fun,lol
Now I get to do it with a seven year old who has no concept of dancing with the wind. can't wait :)