Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013

Loriprov is on a distinguished road
Re: Chasing my dream

We had a 24 foot Newport Neptune for 10 years before moving up to a 34' Irwin sloop. Longest living aboard - 2 weeks. Suggestions: use a two burner coleman stove - if you have alchohol, ditch it. You can take the bottle of propane and unscrew it outside of the cabin - I always did to make sure no gas (which sinks) escaped in the cabin. Then store bottle and stove in separate lazarettes. We took the space of the alchohol stove and the void below and made a wood counter top to put the Coleman on, and a work surface, and used the interior space for pots and pans. Only had an icebox so we also used a small cooler for beverages so we didn't have to open the icebox all the time. Block in the cooler; best thing the new boat has is a cold plate, but it draws power, and we are still minimalists. You can get by without a sink (sort of) if you have a plastic tub, and can fill it with water either from a foot pump, or from a tea kettle of hot water, with foot pump cold added.

Let us know how you fare - I have known several livaboard couples on 26 footers - one year round and two couples for 5 months at a time - and we met a couple and their 12 year old living on a 23 foot Aquarius two years ago.

Lori Prov
Irwin Citation 34
"Salish Mists"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2013

CptBradford is on a distinguished road

hello!! im from the middle part of the state...columbia sc...plan to live on lake murray at a marina for now would love to move to beaufort however need a job first...anyone hiring??? my dads boat is in beaufort as well as my uncles...would love to check my boat into the marina down there.
Old 04-02-2013

i stand fare right now boat is paid for so no expense there totally rebuilt interior and some exterior wood has been refinished...as far as it goes so far the only thing on my list for essentials to live is a mini dorm like fridge that i would use when only connected to shore power...as far as the sink goes i know that there is hose on dock for running water thought bout a sing mounted to some sort of stand that i can use on deck and break down just for washing dishes and such anyone ever done this or have an idea that would make a hose into a usable sink....as far as amenities go i have installed a radio and plan to mount a tiny flat screen tv in the v-birth for entertainment at night as the marina i plan to live on provides cable...for me this is a chance to restart i have spent many years and thousands of dollars to waste away my college career but still havent graduated i am now 24 plan to live alone...maybe a dog or cat for company but other than that id love some more import on living on this small boat...or other possible places/marinas in sc as long as the job market there is decent as i am beyond broke haha thank you all for responding to my post i appreciate it and have gained alot of advice from you all
Old 04-03-2013

so the space in my cabin is very small so that ive come to notice...i have a coleman stove that im using for cooking however i cant find a small enough fridge to fit into the cabin the only one i could find was a mini wine cooler does anyone know if these will cool down enough to keep food fresh?? its only like 4 dollars more than a min fridge and i kinda like the glass door any info would be great...as well anyone got an idea of where to store or mount a microwave or should i scratch the idea....???
Old 04-03-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptBradford View Post
.as far as the sink goes i know that there is hose on dock for running water thought bout a sing mounted to some sort of stand that i can use on deck and break down just for washing dishes and such anyone ever done this or have an idea that would make a hose into a usable sink.
okay, here's some BTDT advice, given to me by another marina rat, back when I was between wives and living on a ChrisCraft Seaskiff. Don't confuse your needs with your wants and end up living ghetto fabulous, cuz that ain't living- it's barely surviving, and you'll end up feeling like sh1t.

real live onboard amenities are more long-term important than a flat-screen tv.

besides, you're living in a marina, which, next to a trailer park, is the best damn real life reality tv you can find.

Forget dorm fridges and winecoolers and any other dirt-designed half-assed solutions. combine your flat-screen fund with your fridge fund and buy one of these:
Norcold NRF30 AC / DC Portable Refrigerator / Freezer

post some pics of your cabin- you may have space you can utilize and don't even realize it, for example building in a sliding sink that slides into the quarterberth for example, or one that folds up in the head. Some omnboard water storage will also make you less dock-dependent- it's a sailboat, not a houseboat, dammit!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-03-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Campmor.com is a great site for camping equipment, check out the jetboil stove, I used one on my motorcycle cross country camping trips. That and a bottle of water was all I needed, you have the luxury of living in a Marina which will give you access to hot showers, toilet that flush, etc. You could even put a grill on the dock if your marina will allow it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 04-03-2013

haha i agree i may be over doing it i just want to be comfortable and be able to spend my mind with out going crazy just starring at the walls of my cabin on rainy days....i will post some pics of the cabin tomorrow and let yall take a look and see if anyone has any ideas....there is alot of space where a kitchenette used to be but i dont intend to put it back in the boat...but the slide out sink it had may be convenient....