SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello All - Duluth and Corpus (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/97960-hello-all-duluth-corpus.html)

Ranger-26-Duluth 03-28-2013 09:16 PM

Hello All - Duluth and Corpus

Hi All,

Basically new to this site, after seeing a lot of great material .

Semi-retired, teaching one or two classes at a university in SA, Tex, I lived on my Ranger 26 out of Duluth for the cool summers.

I sail just north of Corpus Christi the rest of the year in my little Com Pac 16.

Anyone sail in either (both?) areas - Duluth and Corpus ?

I love the Apostle Islands, and am thinking about Isle Royale and the north coast of Superior this summer - any helpful ideas about that area ?

I am also thinking about sailing in off Padre Island in Lagoona Madre - any ideas about that area.

Just thought I would say hi and see what's what.

Glad to be aboard this site.

Gregg

Lake Superior Sailor 03-28-2013 10:39 PM

Re: Hello All - Duluth and Corpus

Welcome, if you like Lake Superior, get Bonnie Dahl's book Superior Way; it will get you there! $49.95 & worth it!....Dale And if you like sailing try Ontonagon Marina!

MikeOReilly 03-28-2013 11:27 PM

Hi Gregg, we sail out of Thunder Bay, and mostly travel the north shore during the all-too-brief summers. Point your bow north and come and visit. We have some of the best cruising grounds up here.

+1 for Dahl's book. It's the bible for Superior sailing.

Ranger-26-Duluth 03-29-2013 12:19 AM

Hey thanks, Lake Superior Sailor and Mike !

I have had the Dahl book for a couple of years already.

I really like the idea of going all the way across the north shore from Thunder Bay. I hear it's awfully cold even at the end of May - true ?

I was in Thunder Bay last year, driving up from Duluth to look at the harbors along the way.

The one thing I don't understand is the Canadian Conservation Areas - can you anchor in them / near them ? Are there plenty of anchorages between Thunder Bay and the eastern shores ? (I'll be soloing, so frequent stops will be important.)

Hope to run into you guys this summer !

Again, thanks, Gregg

Ranger-26-Duluth 03-29-2013 12:22 AM

Hi again,

It seems I can't email you guys directly until I put up 20 posts - otherwise I would ask you directly.

thanks, Gregg

MikeOReilly 03-30-2013 11:46 AM

Hi Gregg, I just noticed this post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger-26-Duluth (Post 1009339)
I really like the idea of going all the way across the north shore from Thunder Bay. I hear it's awfully cold even at the end of May - true ?

Yes, it's pretty cool still, although it depends on your general tolerance for cold. Plan to bring good layers (fleece or wool) along with quality foulies and lighter windbreak shell. It's unlikely that you'll need shorts or t-shirts ... unless you're a lot tougher than me ;).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger-26-Duluth (Post 1009339)
The one thing I don't understand is the Canadian Conservation Areas - can you anchor in them / near them ? Are there plenty of anchorages between Thunder Bay and the eastern shores ? (I'll be soloing, so frequent stops will be important.)

You're referring to the new Lake Superior Marine Conservation area, that covers a large part of the north shore. No problem anchoring anywhere. No permits or special permissions needed. In fact, there's no impact at all on boating ... at least not so far.

Anchorages are plentiful heading east once you get out of Thunder Bay (which you will have to come into to clear customs). With a shallow draft you'll have no problem finding lots of places, well spaced out. Dahl's book does an excellent job of noting them.

The west shore is more problematic. Once you get past Pigeon River the shore (what some Americans call the "north shore") looks pretty bleak down to Duluth. I've never sailed this section b/c of this ... we hopped from the Apostles to Grand Marais, MN to avoid it.

Ranger-26-Duluth 03-30-2013 12:20 PM

Once again, thanks all - VERY helpful !