SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello from VT (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/98567-hello-vt.html)

famos_amos 04-16-2013 05:48 PM

Hello from VT

Hey all- Newbie to the forum here. I purchased my O'day 222 in 2009 and have been sailing her (though, less often than desired) on Lake Champlain since. Various improvements/maintenance/restorations/cool gadgets have been occupying my time off the water and certainly eating up a good chunk of expendable income.

Lately, I've been fighting a battle with "bigger-boat-itis", but I've decided that this summer will be spent becoming a more proficient, efficient and (most important) safer sailor using the equipment I have. I'm hoping to find some experienced sailors in the area who'd be interested in sharing their knowledge with a weekend warrior like myself in exchange for some local delicacies found in my cooler ;) (Vermont is, of course, the micro-brew capitol of the world).

Anyway, spring maintenance/upgrades are currently in the works and looking forward to launching mid-May. See you guys out there!

huntermj 04-16-2013 07:42 PM

Re: Hello from VT

Hi there and welcome.
i am new here myself and i cant help in the experienced part, i just bought my first sailboat last week.
But i am going to be moored in Mallets bay if you ever want to stop by for a cold one and talk about sailing.
Jim

famos_amos 04-16-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntermj (Post 1017370)
Hi there and welcome.
i am new here myself and i cant help in the experienced part, i just bought my first sailboat last week.
But i am going to be moored in Mallets bay if you ever want to stop by for a cold one and talk about sailing.
Jim

Sounds like a plan!- I launched at mallet's the first couple of years I had my boat. I have a slip at Ladd's on Grand Isle now. It's kind of a haul of a drive to get there, but nice to walk onto the boat for sure. What kind of boat did you get?

huntermj 04-16-2013 09:17 PM

Ladds is not too far up the road from me as i live in south hero.
And i now am the proud owner of the one and only Riptide 31 in the states.
I just started cleaning her up and hope to be in the water by the second week of may. And then start learning to sail.

famos_amos 04-17-2013 06:27 PM

Riptide, eh? I'll have to look that one up.. Congrats on your purchase!

34crealock 04-17-2013 08:51 PM

Welcome. I had a Santana 21 on Champlain in 1976 sailing out of Point au Rauche. I recall the sailing to be lively and ever changing due to the hills around the lake and the thunderstorms blowing out of the NY mountains. You have a nice boat to learn on and a great place to do it.:)

sailkittiwake 04-18-2013 08:25 PM

Welcome and good luck! I started out with a Catalina 25 and upgraded to a Pearson 31 a few years back. I LOVE my new and bigger boat, but I can tell you that there is a lot to be said for a smaller and simple boat. The systems are all less complex, the maintenance is less, and of course the cost is less. That said.. Headroom is priceless. =)