SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   I am a new person! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/98735-i-am-new-person.html)

dogeconomics 04-22-2013 10:53 AM

I am a new person!
 
Well, new to sailing. Hello! I'm finishing up a grad degree and intend to promptly find a live-aboard. Just put up a thread: bluewater-live-aboard-under-$20k if you have any advice or suggestions! Can't post links yet.

All the best.

downeast450 04-22-2013 12:10 PM

Re: I am a new person!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogeconomics (Post 1019613)
Well, new to sailing. Hello! I'm finishing up a grad degree and intend to promptly find a live-aboard. Just put up a thread: bluewater-live-aboard-under-$20k if you have any advice or suggestions! Can't post links yet.

All the best.

Welcome,

It isn't fair to assume you are a young, "new person". I finished my last advanced degree when I was over 50. Take it slow. Patience. Apply that degree and plan for a long retirement sailing. Your personal experience will be your best advice so explore opportunities and get aboard as many boats as you can. The where?, with who?, for what?, etc. are all important variables. Remember there is a cost of ownership, too. It is a wonderful goal. This site is a wonderful resource. Keep the dream in focus and do it!

It isn't really spending money when you buy a boat if you buy right. You are just parking the money!;)

Down

DonScribner 04-22-2013 02:02 PM

Re: I am a new person!
 
Dog,

Buy a nice small boat and try sailing first. A trailerable in good condition in the 20 foot range will run about 5K on a trailer. Once you sail, find out that you like being on the water for days on end, can take the steady transom slap at night and the ring of the halyard banging the mast in a breeze and especially the constant movement of everything around you . . . then sell the little one and buy a live aboard, probably in the 30K to 50K range. Which is less than a mortgage or rent . . .



"Love. You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat . . . that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta sink down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home."

CAPT. MALCOLM REYNOLDS

(parapharased)

dogeconomics 04-22-2013 02:51 PM

Re: I am a new person!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by downeast450 (Post 1019659)
Welcome,

It isn't fair to assume you are a young, "new person". I finished my last advanced degree when I was over 50. Take it slow. Patience. Apply that degree and plan for a long retirement sailing. Your personal experience will be your best advice so explore opportunities and get aboard as many boats as you can. The where?, with who?, for what?, etc. are all important variables. Remember there is a cost of ownership, too. It is a wonderful goal. This site is a wonderful resource. Keep the dream in focus and do it!

It isn't really spending money when you buy a boat if you buy right. You are just parking the money!;)

Down

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah I'm 27... and just getting started. Its all very exciting. I'm not too great with the taking it slow. What I want is a boat to live on while I pay off this pile of student debt. No morgages for me please!

Edit: And of course, that is just one of the many reasons I'm getting into sailing.

Magnolia 04-25-2013 10:05 AM

Re: I am a new person!
 
Welcome! From a newbie, and an older person, Ha! Take it nice and slow in picking out your boat. Not only is the hull, engine, etc important...if you want to live-aboard, it must feel like living in a home and not camping and not like you are compromising. Remember that storage is a very important thing. Enjoy and congrats on your Masters!

CarbonSink62 04-25-2013 10:16 AM

Re: I am a new person!
 
Welcome aboard, good luck with your search.

Ken

dogeconomics 04-25-2013 04:48 PM

Re: I am a new person!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnolia (Post 1021197)
Welcome! From a newbie, and an older person, Ha! Take it nice and slow in picking out your boat. Not only is the hull, engine, etc important...if you want to live-aboard, it must feel like living in a home and not camping and not like you are compromising. Remember that storage is a very important thing. Enjoy and congrats on your Masters!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 (Post 1021202)
Welcome aboard, good luck with your search.

Ken

Thanks! Gotten a lot of great advice here so far.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012