SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New CAL Owner (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/98904-new-cal-owner.html)

MD_New_CAL_29 04-27-2013 10:27 AM

New CAL Owner

Hello everyone,

new owner of a 1976 CAL 29 project. She's been idle for a number of years. PO pulled the Farryman so I need to add an outboard, replace lines, re-wire all systems, etc. As I said, a project. She will be hauled Monday and I'll start looking at the electric first, I think. Photos to follow. We're near Annapolis MD.

Thanks,

rbrasi 04-27-2013 11:23 AM

Now you've gone and done it! Although, to say the boat is a project is kinda redundant, no?

Sootydan 04-27-2013 03:55 PM

New CAL Owner

I own a Cal 2-30, fast little tank lol. Btw if they removed the inboard motor remember you,ve lost weightback there, mines a n Atomic 4

captainmurph 04-28-2013 06:58 AM

Re: New CAL Owner

Welcome!

I'm in a restaration/launch project on my '65 Cal 30. Feel free to ask questions in the Cal forum.

Murph

S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30

RNC725 04-28-2013 08:20 PM

bought a 1967 Cal 30, hull 112, in 2010, finished her totally. Holler if I can be of help. Review in Southwinds Magazine October 2012.

Good luck!

captainmurph 05-01-2013 08:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. I read the article and found it enjoyable and informative.

I'm in the process of doing a huge variety of projects on my boat and am looking forward to splashing her in Lake Michigan within a month.

That will be after I finish replacing all the thru-hulls, seacocks and hoses, installing my head, doing a bit of wiring and a general cleanup. The Atomic Four was recently changed by the PO to one from 1975 and I'm also in the process of replacing all the cooling lines, water pump impeller, cleaning the thermostat and carb, etc.

Do you have conventional roller furling or do you have the older Hood Profurl system that uses the continuous line? I'm told that that system is problemmatic with trying to have the sail partially furled; it apparently unfurls by itself very easily.

Where is your holding tank located? Since my boat was built before they were required, I need to install one and am looking at options. I'm thinking of a vertical along the hull curvature outboard of where I will intall the head. At some point in the past, a PO pulled the head, capped the thru-hulls and went to a PortaPotty. I bought a new toilet to install and have it on my list of to-do's.

I've owned a variety of boats, but this is my first 30-footer. These older Cal's have a very good reputation for being roomy and solid!

Murph

S/V Amalia
Cal 30 - 1965
South Haven, MI

rbrasi 05-01-2013 12:06 PM

My bladder was on the Port hull behind the vanity with the vent hose and pump out deck plate run upwards of that. The waste hose ran from the head, through the bulkhead, under the V-berth, back through the bulkhead and into the bladder. It was a pretty tidy system.