Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013
Village Amadan

Mr Mac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Mr Mac Send a message via MSN to Mr Mac Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Mac
Hello From The Midwest!

Hi all! My name is Mac and, as the title says, I live in the Midwest. Might I also add that I'm not at all happy about living in the Midwest where certain things (tornadoes) are concerned!

I am a USAF retiree and for most of my career with them (as well as many years after) we were stationed where there was water. Okinawa for three years, Guam for a bit over a year, Eglin AFB in Ft Walton Beach, FL for nine years and then I retired there so we were there for almost 20 years total. We lived in WA (Everett and Oak Harbor [where my wife was raised]) and absolutely loved it!

While my wife was always in love with sailing (her daddy is a retired sailor) I had always been a power boat kind of guy until one day when a friend asked me to help him move his sailboat from one marina to another. It would take a few hours so he told me to bring the wife along as well.

The trip was really only about fifteen miles or so but since the wind was up he asked if we wanted to just sail around a bit within Escambia and Pensacola Bays and I figured a day on a sailboat was better than a poke in the eye any day and we were off!

We of course, motored out of the old marina and into the open water of the bay when he raised the main sail and shut off the old diesel engine. It was at that moment, when all I could hear was the wind in the sail and the water against the hull that I was hooked!

Fast forward several years and my career brought me to the Midwest and our children are either grown or very close to it. Our youngest is 16 years old and is going to be a junior next year and our youngest daughter just graduated high school this past week. That pretty well leaves us about two years before we're on our own and dedicate more time and money towards our goal of retirement in six years.

Last year we took a day with some friends who own a C-25 and went out to Carlyle Lake in Illinois and we were bitten yet again so now we are looking to buy a small boat for the fresh water sailing here in the Midwest to learn before we retire and buy the big boat she wants to sail the blue waters of...

So, that's it in a nutshell and I truly look forward to continuing to read and learn from so many experienced hands as well as the noobs like us!

Mac
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello From The Midwest!

Welcome aboard!
We are an Air Force family as well. Left the Eglin/Hurlburt area a couple years ago and are now on the Chesapeake. We learned to sail in the Pensacola area and I lived aboard in Shalimar for a year while commuting between Fl and DC for work. Kids also growing and moving on, one still in high school.

Stick around Sailnet, jump into conversations, ask questions and make yourself at home. Like the military, you will get out of this board only as much s you put into it.

There is a good group of folks here. Those of us on the east coast are having a real-in-living-color face to face sail-in meet up in a couple of weeks so know that the board is alive and active.

Welcome!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook