SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

'74 Irwin 28 Lost Centerboard

11K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Cchristo68 
#1 · (Edited)
Somewhere along the line we lost our centerboard. Pivot pin still there along with a frayed cable and an empty trunk. Does anyone know where to get a replacement? Or, does anyone know where I could get the specs to make a new board? Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
There are a couple of Irwin e-mail lists that are very active:
Irwin Sailboats on facebook
irwinsailboats as yahoo group
Check out Irwin Yachts . com
There is currently discussions on centerboards re 32 classic, 39 citation and 25 or 28 Irwin. Good luck

#6 ·
Have you checked the irwinyachts site? Gene has posted much of the old engineering info for the Irwins there, including centerboard diagrams for several models. It may take you some time picking through the old scanned engineering docs there, but you may find gold as to how to make a brand new one.

#9 ·
Hi Gtfyre - yes I checked the Irwin yachts site and while there is information on the centerboard for the 28 there are some critical dimensions missing such that I cannot go ahead and fabricate one with the information listed. Foss Foam in Florida says they can make one but at a price that is out of my budget. I was hoping to find one at a reasonable price that I could drop in as a replacement.
Thanks, Cal

#10 ·
Cchristo68 - Sorry I do not have a trailer that would handle the boat. I really just need the centerboard if that would be OK with you. Please email me directly at ctalmage at optonline dot net. Sorry I had to write out the email address long hand as the site flagged my message with the email in it.
Thanks, Cal

#13 ·
Thanks ctalmage I have exactly same problem pin was in place but board gone. I mocked up a replacement, drew it up and had a company make one. They unfortunately decided to ignore my drawing entirely and supplied a board from what I believe is a Morgan 28. I sent it back so will probably end up making my own this time with a steel plate core encompassing pivot point and anchor point. I am not a big fan of the lifting arrangement on this boat the later citation 34 had a much better, safer and more reliable lifting method.

#14 ·
KMC - Yes, looks like I'll be going the homemade route also. Foss Foam out of FL want $1k+ for a replacement - I can buy alot of marine plywood, metal plate and fiberglass for $1K. There is a rough drawing of the 28 centerboard on the Irwin Owners page but it is missing some critical dimensions needed for fabrication. I am planning on winging the dimensions that are not there and hope my creation fits.
My thought is 2 pcs 1/2" marine plywood sandwiched and glued/screwed together. Reenforced pivot point of solid delrin rod bored out for the pivot pin. At the bottom and lower leading edge I plan on routing out 1/4" on either half approx 6" x 12" and filling those voids with either st st plate or lead cast to fit. Then rounding the leading edge, feathering the trailing edge and fiberglassing over the whole assembly.
Any thoughts on my approach?
Thanks, ctalmage

#15 ·
ctalmage, sounds good to me. I was also worried about losing the entire board again so am going with a solid st.st.core encompassing the pivot point and the anchor point. I made a pattern out of wood first to test all the dimensions. The lanyard needs to remain centered on the delrin pull rod throughout its entire swing so the dimension from center of pivot to center of through hull tube is critical. You are welcome to the sketch I eventually arrived at which is very close to the ones posted on Irwin owners site but with critical dimensions filled in. Watch the weight! it is easy to build a 100 lb board which would be a bear to crank up not to mention the additional stress on the delrin rod the original was 60 to 70 lb.I would still advise making a pattern to check fit in your boat before any build but I'm sure you're already all over that. By the way it was Foss Foam who supplied the wrong board for $1.5k ignoring the drawing I sent them .Having said that they refunded the cost of the board and the guys were very nice to deal with.
Could you tell me what diameter your pivot pin is and how close to the bottom of the hull it is?

#16 ·
ctalmage, I just looked at my sketch in which I have an overall dimension of 1" at the thickest point (leading edge) if you make your board out of 2x 1/2" ply you would not have sufficient room to sheath the resultant board in fiberglass and have it fit in your board case. From memory my board case measures 1.3" at its narrowest point.

#17 ·
KMC - thanks for the input. I didn't purchase the ply yet so will probably go with 3/8" instead. If you could pass on your sketch that would be great -- I think you can post something like that as an attachment here? As for the pivot pin dia, yes, I can get you that measurement but it won't be until the end of this week when I am able to get back to the boat - will reply back then. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.