SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Irwin (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/irwin/)
-   -   Warning on Irwin water tanks (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/irwin/102184-warning-irwin-water-tanks.html)

rmjohns 08-05-2013 08:27 PM

Warning on Irwin water tanks

I have a 76 Irwin 10/4 and finally got around to looking into why the water in my fresh tank smells funny. The tank is integrated into the V-Berth so the cushions lay across the top of the tank.

The fill on this was simply a hose fill in the top of the tank that I replaced with a 3" cleanout port. Once I was able to see in the tank, I realized it was in bad shape. I simply cut the top of the tank off and was surprised to find that although the bottom and sides were fiberglass and gelcoat, the top, and baffles that are attached to the top and drop down into the tank were simply painted plywood. After 30 years, I'm amazed there was anything left in there. I hate to think what chemicals they used in 1976 to treat plywood.The plywood baffles were so rotten I could simply push my finger through them.

If you have an older Irwin and still have the original water tank, I'd check it carefully. I never drank out of mine because of the smell and I'm glad I didn't.

I'd post some pictures, but apparently I haven't posted enough for the site to allow me to do that.

Now, what to replace the tank with..

Rob.

BenMerc 08-10-2013 10:05 AM

Re: Warning on Irwin water tanks

Good to know..I have a 76' I 30, (that's more like 37 years ago) the tank appears to be all glass and substantially built under the V-berth also....this boat is built like a mac truck. I think any and all tank(s) as old as our boats needs a survey and brought up to speed, last owner had replaced our fuel tank. That does sound odd your tank was half ply wood, maybe it was an anomaly construction detail flaw to your individual boat...Irwins can be like that, quality control was an issue at times. Even with the filters and a what I have seen of it, 'clean tank' we still bring our drinking water separate. The main thing to remember about Irwins is... if you get a good one in design and construction which there are several, or well designed model you can up-grade, I think they are very good vessels, some of the best for coastal cruising. We almost bought a 10/4 , cool daysailors bay over nighters...but I wanted something I would feel comfortable coast cruising the gulf, so stepped up the size/design. Good luck with your project.

dave c 08-27-2013 11:29 PM

Warning on Irwin water tanks

I am considering buying a 34 Irwin citation and never considered this, thanks for the tip I think I will buy one of those inspection cameras like they have at Home Depot and send it through a fitting or drill a hole and check it out now that you mention it!

oksailor 06-27-2014 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Where can I find a supplier for a manual bilge boot ?
1983 Irwin citation 31. It's about 7.5 in long (from edge to edge).
Thanks

BenMerc 06-28-2014 07:29 AM

Check with Defenders, on line marine supply...also my old I-30 has a whale manual system, so maybe check with 'Whale' pump manufacturing, they still build some of the old pumps...maybe that is the system you have...If not, check for manufacture's brand and research. There are many online marine suppliers, I restored my boat using some of them.

BenMerc 06-28-2014 07:39 AM

Looking at your photo, not sure if that is an Irwin manufactured part or other....if it's a unique Irwin part, you will have to probably figure out how to reproduce it or adopt a common retrofit...but either way, I doubt that as a uniqe Irwin part you will find one. Need to find an owner with the exact situation. that has found an appropriate or acceptable fix...Go to the Irwin Sailboats FB site.... lots of helpful
members and fairly active... https://www.facebook.com/groups/125214284225649/

zeehag 06-28-2014 12:06 PM

make a glass tank inside old one fro convenience and cleanliness.. epoxy well, and then use

oksailor 06-29-2014 11:56 AM

Thank you.
It turns out I am having a tough time unscrewing the old pump (it has a broken diaphragm).
We had lots of rain lately in OK and I wanted to avoid having too much of a leak.
I'll try again to unscrew the pump. The screws are 3 in long, face up, under the cockpit, and the WD 40 does not go up ... :(

Thanks again