SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Irwin (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/irwin/)
-   -   Irwin 28 head help (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/irwin/116562-irwin-28-head-help.html)

the_abuse 01-12-2014 01:15 AM

Irwin 28 head help

I aquired an Irwin 28 earlier in the year as a restoration project. the boat came with no toilet or holding tank as the previously owner didnt empty it properly before winter storage. all the piping for pumpout is still there and in good order but i have no idea what the setup was like for this boat. can someone snap some pics of their head and where the storage tank is located? cheers

chuck53 01-12-2014 04:00 PM

Re: Irwin 28 head help

Not knowing when your boat was built or what model it is, I'm guessing that the holding tank was underneath the port settee. You say the pumpout piping is still there, so the holding tank had to been in the same spot.
Just start looking around. There are only so many places where the tank can be located, it is probably obvious. For a basic sanitation system, all you really need is a new, marine head (toilet) and you probably already have the water intake thru hull to supply water to it. As I said, the holding tank is probably just behind the bulkhead under the settee, so you need a hose running from the head to the tank and another hose/pipe running from the tank to the deck pump out. You will also need a vent hose for the tank.

the_abuse 01-12-2014 04:50 PM

I don't think you read my post because all the information your wondering about was in the title and post it's a 1972 Irwin 28. It has no toilet or holding tank. I just need to know the location of the holding tank the pipes for pump out and vent are pulled into the head. The only places that I can think of where the tank would be would be in the birth in the bow or in the cabinet in the head.

chuck53 01-12-2014 05:23 PM

Not giving you a hard time, but the year of your boat is not in the title or in your first post. Yes, I know it is a Irwin 28, but depending on when it was built, it might be a II. That's what I meant by model.
Anyway, I'm not familiar with your boat but I looked it up to see the layout. Yes, there probably is room underneath your V-berth for a tank. But, most boats I see have tanks underneath settees and that would be an obvious place as well. Not sure how big your cabinet is, but one might fit there as well. Are there any holes anywhere that hoses may have been run thru? is there a pump out fitting on the deck even if there is no hose connected to it?
Regardless of where a tank may have been installed at the factory, where is the most convenient, easiest place for you to put one? They may not be the same place.

the_abuse 01-18-2014 06:56 PM

Any helpers that own a Irwin 28

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

chuck53 01-18-2014 10:16 PM

Since your boat did at one time have a head and holding tank, there has to be tell tale signs of where the holding tank was located. Fittings that held the tank in place...holes thru bulkheads where hoses were run, either forward under the V berth or aft under the settee...deck fittings for pump out....a hole in the side of the boat where a vent hose was connected or in the case of some boats like mine, my vent hose is connected to one of the hollow stanchions with a hole in the top of the sanction that is the vent. Where is the largest spot a holding tank will easily fit into?
There are only a few places that it will fit...I doubt it is in the cabinet you mentioned...I'm betting it is under the settee.

the_abuse 01-18-2014 10:41 PM

Sorry for my newness what is the settee

the_abuse 01-18-2014 10:44 PM

Never mind Google answered that.. I'll take another look only spot I can think of is the settee where it could have been will have to look deeper

chuck53 01-18-2014 10:46 PM

best way to describe a sette....a sofa.

chuck53 01-18-2014 10:56 PM

You say this is a project boat. Where are you located? What projects need to be done to the boat? Is it sailable as is with cosmetics to attend to or more involved projects to do before getting it on the water?