Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Irwin
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2014

flyaird is on a distinguished road
37 ft Irwin ketch

Hi,
New owner of a 1976 37 Irwin Ketch.
I am looking for hatch latches, a bathroom door, and other interior parts.
Also I am reading comments about blue water capable boats, and do not understand some of the comments. My boat weighs 20,000 or 22,000 lbs depending on which data you care to believe. Doesn't the weight of this boat denote stability/strength?
Be kind I am just trying to learn
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: 37 ft Irwin ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaird View Post
Hi,
Also I am reading comments about blue water capable boats, and do not understand some of the comments. My boat weighs 20,000 or 22,000 lbs depending on which data you care to believe. Doesn't the weight of this boat denote stability/strength?
Thanks

We all started learning somewhere, and your question is a good one. In a broad general sense, simply knowing the weight (displacement) of the boat tells you almost nothing about either the stability or the strength of the boat. What counts towards stability is a broad range of factors such as the shape of the hull (distribution of buoyancy), how that distribution of buoyancy changes as the boat heels, and the weight distribution.

You can have a heavy boat that carries its weight up high, and which does not transfer its buoyancy to leeward very quickly as it heels and it will not have a huge amount of stability relative to its displacement or drag. To a great extent that is the case with your boat. The Irwin 37s started life as budget oriented charter boats. (Think of them as the Hunters of their day.)

Similarly, strength of dependent on the choice of materials, quality of construction, engineering details, and so on. Its easy to have a heavy boat that is has poor glass work, meaning resin rich laminates with a larger amount of non-directional fabric than ideal, and end up with a comparatively fragile but heavy hull. Similarly, even if the hull layup is adequate there can be engineering compromises in the hull to deck connection, hardware and rigging connections, rig design, and items like inadequate internal framing and bonding, and so on. Lastly it takes time and money to carefully produce a strong and stiff boat, and those will usually turn out to be lighter rather than heavier. Heavier is usually a sign of less exacting workmanship and engineering, which in turn usually translates to less strength, especially over time.

To a great extent the laminate on the Irwins was nothing to write home about, and their hull to deck joints, and rigging connections are generally reputed to be problematic. So while they make great live aboards, decent coastal cruisers and mediocre island hoppers, I would never consider them to be particularly ideal or reliable for Blue Water passage making.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 12-22-2014
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: 37 ft Irwin ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaird View Post
Hi,
Thanks
Irwin used a lot of there own (or built to there own specs) hardware. So finding exact replacements may be hard. If you have a large used boating equipment suppler near you, that is where I woudl head first. There are lots of the Irwins out there so it should not be hard to find the parts. Otherwise just see if something current will work. I think Jamestown Distributors seems to have a lot of nice hardware. You may find it easier to replace a bunch of hinges to matching hinges than to find a few that match what exits.

Yes they are heavy boats, but they were an economy production boat, so to meet that price point they had some corners cut. Things like embedded chainplates that compromise long term durability and inspection. As Jeff said they are fine for coastal cruising, but most would not consider them ideal for blue water use. There has been at least one that has circumnavigated.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.