Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Irwin
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2006

bonanza33 is on a distinguished road
Should I buy a Nautical Development 56?

The Nautical Development 56 Ketch appears to be a very seaworthy , weii-built vessel. I'm looking for a good roomy ship to cruise the Carribean. Any one with any experience sailing or owning these yachts, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2006

Watermon is on a distinguished road
Depends on how comfortable you want to be !

I have owned a nautical 56 for 15 years. Bought her in Puerto Rico in 1991, have sailed her all thru the Antilles to Venezuela once, back to the BVI back and forth to St Barths and PR a few times, back to Florida, all around the Bahamas many times. Over to Bermuda and back. Back down to the BVI for three or four years and then back to Florida where she is now. I could tell you just about anything you want to know about one. I am thinking about selling mine as work is seriously getting in the way of my time at sea in this phase of my career.....yucchhhh. Want to chat, call me at 404 550 9013 any time.

Nat
Old 08-16-2006
all these confusing ropes

dohenyboy is on a distinguished road
Nautical

I spent a few weeks this year on a Nautical 60 cruising from the Dominican Republic to the Bahamas.
It definitely is a comfortable and beautiful boat. When we had to motor we held a steady 6 kts at 1800 rpm on the Ford Lehman 120 hp motor. For one day there were 6 footers about 20 degrees off the starboard bow. Sleeping in the forward berth, was catching air every 6 seconds or so.
Not a very fast boat but definitely will go anywhere
On this boat the steel water tanks rusted out. One issue with older big boats is that each owner fills her up with the latest and greatest electronics, electrical goodies, etc. but most of them do not remove the old wiring and plumbing. It becomes a nightmare to trace everything. Pumps that have not been used for a decade were everywhere with hoses and wires that went nowhere. If you get a big boat like the Nautical be prepared to spend lots of money or be very handy to get everything in order.
Old 10-16-2006

maiasale is on a distinguished road
Nautical

I have owned a Nautical Dev '56, MAIA, for the past 5 years. I purchased it from a family of 4 who sailed for the carribean for 3 years; the owner before that annually sailed from Miami to Nova Scotia (and tells me that the sailboat was much steadier in open water than his current 70+ ft power boat). MAIA is for sale - www.maiamiami.com.

Mike
Old 03-30-2009

mannyg2000 is on a distinguished road
Cool nautical developement sailboats

could anybody help me . Where are or were Nautical Developement Sailboats built ?
Old 03-30-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I believe they were a Tampa Bay area company that went out of business in the mid 80's/
Old 11-19-2009

cjsimplyscraps is on a distinguished road
they were based out of largo, fl. which is between st. pete and clearwater in the tampa bay area. i lived on a nautical 56 for 4 years in ft. lauderdale and cruising the bahamas.the boat had also been through a hurricane when my friend was on it and sailed right through it. i was on it through a few night squalls,and the way she just cuts through just makes u love her.having lived on her for 4 years i can say it is a very comfortable boat.any boat unless u buy it brand new takes a lot of work and money,and of course the less it is used the worse that will be.i wouldn't think twice about buying 1. also i am 99% sure that the owner died and that's why the company closed. so sad...she is an awesome boat.and a beautiful one.
Old 03-18-2010
Dreamer

jordanship is on a distinguished road
Designer Comments

I talked to Stephen Seaton, the designer of the Nautical 56. He was generous and helpful. I was and am still trying to put together a review of these yachts. I have a not so good draft with some juicy information from Seaton.

I guess I have to post 2 times before I can post the link...
Old 03-18-2010
Dreamer

Post 2

Second Post
Old 03-18-2010
Dreamer

Designer Comments (Continued)

Nautical Development 56 Review: Success Despite Underballasted and Undercanvassed « Waves | Jordan Yachts

I would appreciate critiques especially by current or former Nautical 56 owners. Particularly, I am interested in the history of Nautical Development Corporation and construction details.

Richard