SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Electrical Panel

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Dawkahab 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I am the owner of a new to me Irwin 30 (1975). Just bought it, and I Love the boat. I ran into my first problem, and thought I would ask if anyone knew about the electrical breaker panel. It has been re done within the last few years (not orignal). The problem is... I plugged in the battery charger, saw a spark when the plug went into the dock power cord, and my panel went dead. Still had power to the bildge pump, voltmeter, blower. But radio, cabin lights and all the stuff powered from the panel went dead. I attempted to look behind the panel, and could not get behind it. After 10 minutes or so, power returned. Question 1... Do you think I have a loose wire or has anyone had the power return after awhile???? Second question... Does any one know how to access the back of the panel... It is bigger than the opening above the nav station. thank you for reading my post... Bob

#2 ·
Ahoy Bob

We have a problem matey. As you said the panel is not factory, so how would we know what kind of panel and where it is located.

Are there any screws on the face of the panel? There is something holding it in place. You might even have to get at it from the back.

That being said, if you would attach a picture, somehow one of us could figure it out.

Until then fair winds

Cap'n Dave

#3 ·
Can,t help with the panel, not enough information.You should get a qualified ABYC electrical technician to solve this. Alternating current can kill you. You said you got a spark when you plugged in. Always shut the dock breaker off before connecting or disconnecting your shore power cord. Failure to do so will result in arcing, the finish will pit on the cord contacts resulting in corrosion and higher resistance which will create heat and eventually destroy the receptacle and the cord if not the boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.