1981 Irwin 34 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-20-2016 Thread Starter

1981 Irwin 34

We purchased a 1981 Irwin 34' (#293) sailboat over the holidays and will need to make some repairs to get it seaworthy for the season. This is our first sailboat and we are excited to learn more and discover the Chesapeake Bay. The boat was family owned since 1983 and sailed in the upper Chesapeake Bay every season.

We are hoping y’all can help us along this journey

Some questions:
1. Any advice on making the repair?
2. What else would you do when completing this repair? Run Electrical? Re-bed everything?
3. The port lights are leaking. Should these be replaced or re-bedded?
4. There appears to be a leak at the hull to deck joint on the port side to the rear of the saloon. Any advice on making this repair?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ken and Renee
Attached Thumbnails
Sailboat.jpg   Saloon.jpg   STBD Chainplate in Saloon.jpg   SBD Shroud on deck.jpg   Port Shroud in Saloon.jpg  

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-20-2016

Re: 1981 Irwin 34

You nee to have the bulkheads replaced completely. Big job. 1983 I would replace the chainplates too. You also seem to have rotted core where the chainplates go through the deck. Removing top skin of deck to expose the rotted core and recore the decks. You are in for a big education. I hope you are handy or wealthy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleemus For This Useful Post:
363184 (01-20-2016)
post #3 of 9 Old 01-20-2016
Just another Moderator

I'd also get a halyard to the rail on that side and properly secure the masthead against a strong wind from that side while you're getting things fixed. I gonna assume you never got a pre purchase survey? I hope you got a H of a deal....

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #4 of 9 Old 01-20-2016

Wow, I hope you got that for free.

Bleemus is spot on - replace both bulkheads, and chainplates. Rip apart the deck and recore, then fiberglass back together. It also appears that you have numerous areas of water intrusion inside around the ports as well. Check everywhere carefully for rot - replace rotted wood, and reseal leaks. Look around the hull/deck seam also.

As you have a deck stepped mast, I would take that mast down immediately before it falls over and further ruins the boat or kills someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lazerbrains For This Useful Post:
363184 (01-20-2016)
post #5 of 9 Old 01-20-2016 Thread Starter

We do have two halyard's on the starboard rail.

So far it' been a good deal. We motored (New Engine Yanmar 30 installed last year) about 25miles to our new marina on the 15th and all was well. We have one quote to replace the bulkhead and repair the deck for about $9K and we will have $10k total invested.

The yard is suggesting that the mast must be removed to complete the repairs.

Ken
post #6 of 9 Old 01-20-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

What I'm seeing is..

Like mentioned, replace the bulkheads and replace the chainplates. I replaced my chainplates on my boat and one broke in my hand as I removed it.

Port lights can usually be re-bedded. If the wood they're attached to is rotted, you might be able to do a patch fix.

for hull to deck joint, you'll have to do some slight disassembly and reseal it. From what I've seen, it requires loosening the bolts holding it together, prying it up enough to squeeze in some sealant, like 4200 or 5200.

You do have some major repairs ahead of you. While you're at it, make a plan on how you want your electrical and if you can, remove all the old and replace it. Look up advice from another Sailnet member, Maine Sail on electrical. There's also some good books on marine electrical. Make sure you have a clean installation of new wires and do it the right way by using marine grade wires, not wiring from Home Depot or Lowes.

Lastly, where are you keeping your boat? Still on the Chesapeake? Are you looking at doing the work yourself?

Good Luck!

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #7 of 9 Old 01-20-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

removing the mast is a good idea.

Any idea how old the standing rigging is? That may need replaced too.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #8 of 9 Old 01-20-2016

Shop the job around. It is a huge job but 9k seems steep. You got the boat for 1k it seems. I look at boats like this simply. If it has a low hour diesel in it you can justify it but if the diesel is on its last legs walk away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 Old 01-20-2016
Lake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 363184 View Post
We do have two halyard's on the starboard rail.

So far it' been a good deal. We motored (New Engine Yanmar 30 installed last year) about 25miles to our new marina on the 15th and all was well. We have one quote to replace the bulkhead and repair the deck for about $9K and we will have $10k total invested.

The yard is suggesting that the mast must be removed to complete the repairs.

Ken
Yeah, a good deal is in the eye of the beholder. Reminds me of my first boat, O'Day 25. Rotten as shi**. Do you want a oat to work on or to sail? Probably too late for that question. Yes, the mast will have to come down too. Is it deck stepped? Might want to have it all looked at. Never know where there is rot on a boat with those issues. Good luck, hopefully you get to sail it in the next season.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

Tags
bulkhead , chesapeake bay , citation , irwin 34

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.