SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Irwin Historians?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  lordpoltimore 
#1 ·
I have a 1970 Irwin 38 aft cockpit sloop. Rigged a bit differently than the spec. sheet Gene Gannon has posted at Irwin.com, I figured these were mostly from production difference/options and 36 yrs. of owner mods, But this style Irwin seems to be pretty rare. I've only heard of 3, 1 for sale in Florida states it's one of 6 Ted Irwin built for the Mackinac race, it seems equiped very similar to mine, the traveler runs across the center of the cockpit, while the spec sheet shows cabin top mount. the boom seems to be an early roller furling boom where the whole boom rotates.the gooseneck is mounted on a track instead of welded and the engine runs thru a V drive instead of straight. the boat for sale on "Yachtworld" in Fla. has all these same variations from the spec. sheet as mine, but the original owner died,so no info. If anyone knows about any such special racers, please let me know. Thanks, Art.

#2 ·
Hi Art, It looks like I have one of those boats. They are rare indeed, my understanding is that there are 25 to 30 of them built. Mine is a keel/centerboard with 3' 9" draft. oddly enough there is one more on the same lake where I sail, again with the k/cb. My boat was built in 1969 and delivered to Chicago and sailed the Mac 6 times. I like the boat mostly for the shallow water ability as this is a thin water lake. Don.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.