Is Irwin 10/4 (modified) right for me? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-29-2016 Thread Starter

Is Irwin 10/4 (modified) right for me?

Our condominium association is planning on building a new dock beginning March 1. I need some planning help here. First off…

The boat itself is titled at 25'4", my association requires the boat be no more than 25' long as noted on the registration. Snipping 4" off the bow would be required upfront. I'm told this is possible physically and have a bid to do this and remount the bowsprit for $1,000. Florida registration folks tell me the boat could then be inspected and the title/registration corrected to reflect this. Anyone ever had experience with this sort of thing? Fish and Wildlife is the agency that does the inspection. Good idea? Bad idea?

If feasible, I need to move on to dock needs. My dock/piling needs need to be set by this coming Friday.

Dock Project

#1 Would you install a boat lift for this vessel? $4,800 buys me a 10,000# lift. 4 new pilings cost $1,630. Anyone know the dry weight for the Irwin?

#2 The beam of the Irwin is 10' 4". What would you consider to be the optimum piling spacing lift or no lift? I have 13 feet total to work with. New pilings consuming 16 to 20 inches of that space. The dock is being raised 12" and if I were to opt to leave the boat in the water would the two current dockside pilings suffice? The four current pilings are 10' apart. Two would need to be removed to accommodate the Irwin's beam.

#3 Should I opt for the lift I need to find drawings for lift design purposes. Are these available anywhere? The slip is located in tidal waters with boat wakes present.What would you do? I am new to boating and sailing from the captain's perspective. Hitherto I've enjoyed boating merely as a passenger. I have much to learn, obviously.

I will be cruising the coastal areas of SW Florida. Should I find cruising to be my cup of tea, is this boat capable of taking me past Key West?

TIA

P.S. My slip is at the dock's end and I presumably won't have other boats to contend with other than mooring alongside my immediate neighbor.

Last edited by michael.anda; 02-29-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-29-2016

Re: Is Irwin 10/4 (modified) right for me?

That is not even a very good boat to start with, let alone adding all this extra work and expense. Not a very seaworthy design for what you intend to do. Maybe Cape Dory 25? Better design and under 25 feet (24.8).
miatapaul likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 20 Old 02-29-2016 Thread Starter

It's roomy, my number one priority beside being a sailboat. Is the standard 25 a better choice? I'd only have to snip 3" off that model. ;-)

Seriously, though, all input at this time is appreciated. Because of the lift matter I basically need to pick out a boat by Friday. The boat lift guy says a Catalina 25 will fit on the $4,800 lift without modification.

I like your tagline, BTW. I recently saw a Christian version of that same sentiment. Wish I could remember the source.

post #4 of 20 Old 02-29-2016
Old enough to know better

Yea, they are not horrible, but not worth the effort of remove the bow spirit. Unless you have the boat already, I would find something that does not need to be modified. What is the rush? It's not like it will be modified before Friday. The only way I would put in a lift would be if you were racing the boat and had a polished bottom. The lift is likely twice the price of the boat. I would put the money into the boat, not a lift.
SloopJonB likes this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #5 of 20 Old 02-29-2016 Thread Starter

The rush is the pilings and the lift. Are the current two pilings next to the finger dock adequate for mooring? After the dock height is raised I estimate they will be roughly 4.5 ' above dock height. There is a considerable amount of wake activity affecting our dock. My slip is the one nearest the channel out to the gulf. Boats are raring to go at that point having passed many no wake zones prior to that point.

If I, or my family after my death, ever want to put a lift in the slip, now is the time to do it cost effectively. If two pilings are adequate I can save myself another $1,630 by forgoing the new pilings altogether. Actually, now that I think of it, I can just keep all four current pilings if I opt to skip the Irwin 10/4. I can keep the 4,500 pound lift for that matter as well. Trouble is, I'm only left with 4.5' of clearance. I have to assume, too, that a lift would greatly assist in boarding the boat.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-29-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.anda View Post
The rush is the pilings and the lift. Are the current two pilings next to the finger dock adequate for mooring? After the dock height is raised I estimate they will be roughly 4.5 ' above dock height. There is a considerable amount of wake activity affecting our dock. My slip is the one nearest the channel out to the gulf. Boats are raring to go at that point having passed many no wake zones prior to that point.

If I, or my family after my death, ever want to put a lift in the slip, now is the time to do it cost effectively. If two pilings are adequate I can save myself another $1,630 by forgoing the new pilings altogether. Actually, now that I think of it, I can just keep all four current pilings if I opt to skip the Irwin 10/4. I can keep the 4,500 pound lift for that matter as well. Trouble is, I'm only left with 4.5' of clearance. I have to assume, too, that a lift would greatly assist in boarding the boat.
In that case I would go ahead and have the pilings put in. with the most space they will allow you to have. A lift may help in that situation, but the only lifts I have seen were to keep a racing boat out of the water (power or sail) and clean.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #7 of 20 Old 02-29-2016
Just another Moderator

If you haven't bought the boat yet, (not clear on this) then I'd go with the Catalina 25 or similar option. The mods you're talking about will be expensive, probably with a somewhat unsightly result, leaving you with an oddball boat that would be harder to sell at a later date.

Set up your berth/dock as best you can right now, leaving maximum space available, and put the money into a boat that fits.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #8 of 20 Old 02-29-2016 Thread Starter

Boat has not yet been purchased or committed to.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 20 Old 02-29-2016
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.anda View Post
Boat has not yet been purchased or committed to.

Way too many structural issues, costs, and complications with 'snipping a few inches off'... buy a boat that fits..
michael.anda likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #10 of 20 Old 02-29-2016 Thread Starter

Forgoing all new dock costs leaves $6,430 in my pocket which has its appeal. The current lift is 10' wide. Gut tells me I should do new pilings, at a minimum. Does the $4,800 lift and a Catalina 25 give me a better experience than a Watkins 25 (plan B) in the water? Remember, roomy currently tops my objectives list. I'm not sure what a lift would cost for the Watkins 25.

Last edited by michael.anda; 02-29-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.