Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Irwin
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008
Wharf Rat

bob chaisson is an unknown quantity at this point
Chuck, love the avatar. I'm jelous. ;- )
Old 03-07-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
My 1971 Irwin 38 was solid on the outside and cheap on the inside. It had great classic lines (hard to believe, right?) with a nice overhang stern. And the glass was thick. Over an inch.

I have to dig out a picture becuase she is not the charter type Irwin everyone is talking about.

As soon as I get to 10 posts, I will post a pic!
You probably had the Irwin Citation 38 which was a sleek and cruiser/racer IOR influenced design which was a completely different boat than the I38cc.

I think that the discussion of glass thickness is largely misplaced. (Though not totally). No Irwin has 1/4" glass throughout and no Irwin has 1" glass throughout. Different thicknesses were appropriate for different stress areas in the hull as is dfferent roving...or chopper gun spraying. Much more important is the quality of the layup and materials used. With an encapsulated keel...you need quite a bit of thickness there for both protection and for support where it merges with the hull form.
Old 03-07-2008

jzk is on a distinguished road
No sir, I did not have a Citation.

I had:

And the layup was not done with a chopper gun, but rather it was very thick biaxial. The 1 inch glass was at the bottom where there was a hole to the bilge, and where the thru hull was mounted for the engine.

Last edited by jzk; 03-07-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2008
Wharf Rat

Thumbs up

No question about that. Any half way decent designed hull varies in thickness from deck to keel. When we installed the depth sounder transponder at about 8" ahead of the keel and roughly 3" off the c'line, we had to use a deep hole hole saw and go in from both sides of the hull as the solid glass was about 3" thick (BTW the wing keel is bolted not encapsulated. The hull sides (for at least 8" above the waterline is over 1.5" and the local repair guy (who repaired Irwins -his shop was right next to the NE Irwin dealer) told me I had at least another inch to go when I carved a 1" deep gash in it (the fuel tank being on one side of the salon and the water tank on the other) in 25 to 30 kt winds I have never had flexing, but I have a friend that delivered a 40 something CC and got thrown from the bunk due to hull flexing. There is definatly a difference from Irwin to Irwin, just like anyother boat. Actually, if you look at the design specs for the newer glass boats, they are making the a damn sight thinner that they used to. To me, stringer location and size, bonding methods, fillet radii at joinings and hull to deck joints are what make the big diff.. Check this out.

Looks pretty good to me, if they actually did it that way. I know mine is thru bolted.
Old 03-07-2008
Wharf Rat

BTW Mine wasn't done with a chopper gun either, cause you can see the woven roving print through under the dark blue stripes, darn . I've got to fair that before I paint the hull.
Old 03-18-2008

seancrowne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob chaisson View Post
Looks pretty good to me, if they actually did it that way. I know mine is thru bolted.

hey bob can't send private yet just joined this forum but i'm a long time member on cruisers forum. hope you dont mind me inturupting the thread althouogh its been the most helpful one i have read in my search for informatin!

im looking into buing a 1987 citation 35. ive joined the yaho and msn group and tried to contact someone from the company. im really trying to get as much inf on the model as possible. i'll be using it as a liveaboard in long island sound and down to florida and caribean for a few months in the summer every year. i havnt been able to get in touch with any owners to find out about performance and there is little nformatin on line regarding the model. if you dont mind i had a few questions. i directed them at the PO but your opinins and informatin would be wonderful. does the boat have simlar prblems to other early models of irwin. ie stress cracks poor gel coat, blisters, and esp leaking around portlights and hatches. would you ever take it offshore,does it need to be modified for that? or is it only a coastal cruiser ? would it make it to hawaii australia? not planning on it but would like to know i could if in the future it comes up....mynumber one concern fr the boat is the shoal draft of 4'8 (that als being a major perk) i read a couple of your psts and hope to join you on some sails when i aquire the boat ,hopefully if all papers go through by april.
thank you in advance
sean
Old 03-18-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Note...my chopper gun comment was not to suggest that woven roving was not used where needed or even exclusively on some boats. Just that chopper gun work was common and not all sections of all Irwins were done by hand laid techniques. This was common in production boat building in the 70's and 80's.
JZK...thanks for the picture and description. I have never seen one of those before...good looking hull!
Old 03-18-2008
Wharf Rat

Sean, go to the irwinsailboat group at yahoo and post. I can contact you direct from there.
Bob s/v Valkyrie, Irwin Citation 35.5
Old 12-05-2008

lod285 is on a distinguished road
hi everybody,my friend is finishing refit on his irwin 30 in Florida and he would like sail across Atlantic to Europe in few months.My question is: Is Irwin 30 actualy " blue water" boat? Did you ever heard about somebody who made seriouse offshore passage on Irwin 30 ? Any good points and bad points for those cruisers?many thanks for responses
Old 12-05-2008
moderate?

By no stretch of the imagination is an Irwin 30 a bluewater boat. It is a modestly built coastal family cruiser. If he gets lucky your friend might make it. On the other hand, I suggest that there will be a lot of luck needed.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.