SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Lost rig New Mast/new boat?

19K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  TomandKarens34 
#1 ·
A recent sail from the keys to Tampa Bay has left my 34 Citation without a mast and sails. The mast folded in half just below the spreaders, with 4 to 6 foot seas and solo I choose not to retrieve the pieces everything was at least 20 years old. after 5 attempts I felt damage would occur to me or the vessel from the retrieval. Question has been raised by a cruising relative that my money would be better spent on a different vessel rather than replacing the mast and sails on my 27 year old "Irwin". Cost new appears to be around 15 thousand. Could save some with used sails. what to do?

#2 ·
I'd start by looking around to see what used boats you'd like are priced at. That will give you a better idea.

Also, where do you live. Down here in Florida we have some really good salvage yards that might have a usable mast and rigging. Do you have anthing like that avalible.

#7 ·
Salvage Yards

I'd start by looking around to see what used boats you'd like are priced at. That will give you a better idea.

Also, where do you live. Down here in Florida we have some really good salvage yards that might have a usable mast and rigging. Do you have anthing like that avalible.
ARE THERE ANY OF THESE SALVAGE YARDS AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET ,COULD YOU GIVE ME THE NAMES OF ANY OF THEM?
THANKS

#3 ·
there are allot of masts lying around marinas, boat yards and other places. If you know your sail plan you can find used sails too. Even online you can find sails, masts, and booms, for sale. With a lttle bit of effort you could save allot of money. All that aside who would buy a boat without sails or mast?

Reactions: tondelayo29
#4 ·
All that aside who would buy a boat without sails or mast?
I was thinking much the same. You've lost the value of the mast and sails either way.

(Value of your boat - cost of sail/mast replacement = sales value)

It will be a zero sum equation. Combine that with all of the other market issues right now; it would be a real hard sale. (no pun intended)

Now, if you're really only looking for an excuse to get a new boat, that's another issue altogether.

If you want to get anything near it's true value out of your current boat; find used sails/mast, then make your decision.

#5 ·
Used stuff is available, but I like to sail! weather is not an issue so I don't want to always wonder if the old gear is up to it. I knew my mast ws having problems but hoped for another season at least? I don't know any other boats that I would like as well as Irwin with 4' draft 30 to 40 foot. Been checking the internet seems for 40,000 or less I could get a 365 pearson or tartan 34 another Citation would be 29,00 or less but then Id worry about the age of that rig. Value of sailboat without a rig is only the sum of the parts left over. so thats a real problem.

#6 ·
Bottom line is: If you like your boat, and were not considering replacing it before the loss of the mast; then you should fix it.

If you are not comfortable with the used equipment ( a good opinion ); then bite the bullet and replace with all new. Upgrade even. Consider it a new boat that you already know well enough to understand her quirks. It may be the best of both worlds. (peace of mind is priceless)

Only you can answer the question as to how dedicated you are to this vessel.

We can only tell you what we might do; and we've never set foot on the boat.

#24 ·
Bottom line is: If you like your boat, and were not considering replacing it before the loss of the mast; then you should fix it.
I agree with AjariBonten, besides any boat you purchase is likely to need upgrade/repairs not discovered until after you sail her for a time. Maintaining and upgrading my 40 year old Irwin 32 is always a financial dilemma until I calculate the cost of replacing her with anything I like as well or better. But I have to admit, I am besotted with my boat and can hardly call myself objective or even rational!
Best of luck in your decision making,

#8 ·
Whether or not to replace the rig is a moot point... you really have no choice unless you're prepared to dump the boat, essentially.

Is insurance involved? That will change the picture too. If you've lost confidence in the boat and want to change/upgrade, you'll still be better off fixing this one first, as has already been suggested.

Also, not to beat you up, but "hoping to get another season" out a suspect rig is just asking for exactly what you got!

You were right to jettison the broken rig to avoid further damage. I'm willing to bet that there were some holed Irwin Citations in any of the various recent hurricanes - it's quite likely that an entire rig and sail inventory will be readily available.

Best of luck.

#9 ·
Where do the insurance companies liquidate the boats they obtain when totaling out a loss? Is there some "vast graveyard of the holy" (pun intended) ?

#12 ·
I don't have any of the web sites saved. There is a big salvage yard over in St Pete, and a smaller one in Daytona, plus one up in St Augustine I've gone to once or twice. If you can't find them on the web, try yellow pages.com . If they don't do sales online. They'll take order over the phone. I would also recomend looking up salvage yards in Mississippi and Louisiana. There was alot of wrecked boats going on Ebay after Katrina. There's probably more that have been dragged out of the swamps by now.

#18 ·
"All that aside who would buy a boat without sails or mast?"
I know someone who did. Bought a derelict from a yard and got the rest together and still made out OK on the whole deal--but he's got great luck with such things, and found a mast and boom that were "close enough" to the original to work.
In Florida, I'd call Sailorman and if they can't get a replacement rig--ask them about other breakers' yards and places to try calling. Locally--because shipping can be a huge expense.

#19 ·
lastconch, Dons Marine Salvage is in St. Pete. They always have a few masts/booms and such. A friend of mine has a mast off a 33 Morgan I'm sure he'd let go very cheap. It has a splice just above the spreaders that needs repaired otherwise it's in very good shape.( Location, Hudson FL.)
Bill,

#20 ·
If you want the security of a new rig, but the savings of used equipment, call around to your local riggers. They often acquire used equipment. If you contract them to rerig the boat, they will inspect the rig before installing it. If it is up to you to locate the mast, if you ask, they will probably be willing to check it out before you buy it. No decent rigger is going to want to install a questionable rig. We have a rigger here in RI that gets decent equipment from scrapped boats all the time.

#22 ·
I snapped my old spruce boom sailing an awesome wing on wing late last summer. I have been searching for a used 14' boom since September without a lot of luck here in the NorthWest (Portland OR.). I know there should be a ton of salvage yards and consignments but I keep hitting dead ends. Looking for a straight forward extruded aluminum boom. Most used ones above 12'6" begin to included all types of internal "stuff" bells and whistles and the price used exceeds a new one from Dwyer. I would take any suggestions on Salvage yards you may have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.