SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Irwin (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/irwin/)
-   -   Lost rig New Mast/new boat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/irwin/38793-lost-rig-new-mast-new-boat.html)

lastconch 11-25-2007 10:59 AM

Lost rig New Mast/new boat?

A recent sail from the keys to Tampa Bay has left my 34 Citation without a mast and sails. The mast folded in half just below the spreaders, with 4 to 6 foot seas and solo I choose not to retrieve the pieces everything was at least 20 years old. after 5 attempts I felt damage would occur to me or the vessel from the retrieval. Question has been raised by a cruising relative that my money would be better spent on a different vessel rather than replacing the mast and sails on my 27 year old "Irwin". Cost new appears to be around 15 thousand. Could save some with used sails. what to do?

danjarch 11-25-2007 11:04 AM

I'd start by looking around to see what used boats you'd like are priced at. That will give you a better idea.

Also, where do you live. Down here in Florida we have some really good salvage yards that might have a usable mast and rigging. Do you have anthing like that avalible.

deniseO30 11-25-2007 11:23 AM

there are allot of masts lying around marinas, boat yards and other places. If you know your sail plan you can find used sails too. Even online you can find sails, masts, and booms, for sale. With a lttle bit of effort you could save allot of money. All that aside who would buy a boat without sails or mast?

AjariBonten 11-25-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 227802)
All that aside who would buy a boat without sails or mast?

I was thinking much the same. You've lost the value of the mast and sails either way.

(Value of your boat - cost of sail/mast replacement = sales value)

It will be a zero sum equation. Combine that with all of the other market issues right now; it would be a real hard sale. (no pun intended)

Now, if you're really only looking for an excuse to get a new boat, that's another issue altogether.

If you want to get anything near it's true value out of your current boat; find used sails/mast, then make your decision.

lastconch 11-25-2007 12:08 PM

Used stuff is available, but I like to sail! weather is not an issue so I don't want to always wonder if the old gear is up to it. I knew my mast ws having problems but hoped for another season at least? I don't know any other boats that I would like as well as Irwin with 4' draft 30 to 40 foot. Been checking the internet seems for 40,000 or less I could get a 365 pearson or tartan 34 another Citation would be 29,00 or less but then Id worry about the age of that rig. Value of sailboat without a rig is only the sum of the parts left over. so thats a real problem.

AjariBonten 11-25-2007 12:15 PM

Bottom line is: If you like your boat, and were not considering replacing it before the loss of the mast; then you should fix it.

If you are not comfortable with the used equipment ( a good opinion ); then bite the bullet and replace with all new. Upgrade even. Consider it a new boat that you already know well enough to understand her quirks. It may be the best of both worlds. (peace of mind is priceless)

Only you can answer the question as to how dedicated you are to this vessel.

We can only tell you what we might do; and we've never set foot on the boat.

bonnelaine 11-25-2007 12:50 PM

Salvage Yards

Quote:

Originally Posted by danjarch (Post 227796)
I'd start by looking around to see what used boats you'd like are priced at. That will give you a better idea.

Also, where do you live. Down here in Florida we have some really good salvage yards that might have a usable mast and rigging. Do you have anthing like that avalible.

ARE THERE ANY OF THESE SALVAGE YARDS AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET ,COULD YOU GIVE ME THE NAMES OF ANY OF THEM?
THANKS

Faster 11-25-2007 12:57 PM

Whether or not to replace the rig is a moot point... you really have no choice unless you're prepared to dump the boat, essentially.

Is insurance involved? That will change the picture too. If you've lost confidence in the boat and want to change/upgrade, you'll still be better off fixing this one first, as has already been suggested.

Also, not to beat you up, but "hoping to get another season" out a suspect rig is just asking for exactly what you got!

You were right to jettison the broken rig to avoid further damage. I'm willing to bet that there were some holed Irwin Citations in any of the various recent hurricanes - it's quite likely that an entire rig and sail inventory will be readily available.

Best of luck.

AjariBonten 11-25-2007 12:59 PM

Where do the insurance companies liquidate the boats they obtain when totaling out a loss? Is there some "vast graveyard of the holy" (pun intended) ?

mazzy 11-25-2007 01:26 PM

Found yachtsalvage.com doing a quick search. They've got a 34' C&C in MA that sunk due to a failed thru-hull. A hurricane damaged Catalina, etc

Mike