SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Irwin (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/irwin/)
-   -   Can someone please tell me what this sail is for? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/irwin/57868-can-someone-please-tell-me-what-sail.html)

CaptainDCD 09-09-2009 06:04 PM

Can someone please tell me what this sail is for?

I am a bit new to sailing yet, and this sail was in a compartment in our 37 cc ketch.. luff 15' (approx) , foot 6' (approx).. Can someone please tell me what it is for... my assumption is that it is for the mizzen, but not sure how it would attach.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/s...ysterysail.jpg

JohnRPollard 09-09-2009 07:34 PM

Except for the fact the colors are reversed, it looks like a giant version of the signal flag "A" (which is sometimes used for divers). But, again, the color scheme is wrong.

I would venture that it is some kind of riding sail (used at anchor, or sometimes with a sea anchor, to keep the bow into the wind). It is a funny shape, but I've seen some odd looking ones that were bent over a backstay to create an almost kite-like sail.

sailak 09-10-2009 01:27 AM

Are you sure it's a sail? Any chance it's a sunshade or something along those lines?

tdw 09-10-2009 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard (Post 521098)
Except for the fact the colors are reversed, it looks like a giant version of the signal flag "A" (which is sometimes used for divers). But, again, the color scheme is wrong.

I would venture that it is some kind of riding sail (used at anchor, or sometimes with a sea anchor, to keep the bow into the wind). It is a funny shape, but I've seen some odd looking ones that were bent over a backstay to create an almost kite-like sail.

Pollard...have you been into the rum again ?

Come on guys...if that thing once was it sure as heck ain't any more.

Sun shade of some kind.....maybe made up from the remants of an old headsail.....

JohnRPollard 09-10-2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 521188)
Pollard...have you been into the rum again ?

Nah, just up past my bedtime. :D

I was thinking of a riding sail that has a 3 dimensional shape, along these lines: Fin Delta

But sun shade/awning is a good guess too.

Cruisingdad 09-10-2009 12:02 PM

Uh, that would be an australian Main sail. I am sure I have seen pics of certain australian tying it on his head in an attempt to make his boat go faster upwind. THe reason it is all torn up is that he tried it downwind first. Luckily they found the head a few days later and were able to re-attach it with little loss to the body! In fact, the body hardly knew it was missing!!!

HEHE! DOn't let him pick on you Pollard. The guy has kids, Wombat. Ever tried typing an intelligent response with the kids screaming and wife calling for you to get off the computer and help out!??? That is why I run my household like a Monarchy. THere can only be one ruler whose command are absolute. SPeaking of that, she is calling me now...

- CD

hellosailor 09-10-2009 04:23 PM

Obviously the Long Lost Marine Wimple of the Flying Nun.

Please call Sally Fields at once, she's been looking for that thing for years now.

tdw 09-10-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 521389)
Obviously the Long Lost Marine Wimple of the Flying Nun.

Please call Sally Fields at once, she's been looking for that thing for years now.

aha....I knew that thing reminded me of something........

Hey CD.......other than proffering an invitation to use your chompers on my good self......I think it's generally conceded that I've never passed the "tried typing an intelligent" bit. Heaven knows what sort of calamity would ensue is you added anarchic ankle biters to the mix.

I begrudginglky admit btw that maybe Pollard has something with the FinDelta riding sail idea though personally I prefer Sally Fields.....no hang on....let me rephrase that.....prefer the Flying Nun......nope that didn't work either.......give me Helen Mirren any day........:p