SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Irwin (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/irwin/)
-   -   Citation 34 - deal or no deal? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/irwin/59865-citation-34-deal-no-deal.html)

kenny0330 11-14-2009 11:30 PM

I may buy Irwin 34 with broken mast, no interior, no wire, and not working motor.
Is it bad idea or not?
If I do, where i can buy those parts new or used .
also any body has a manual for

kenny

help me !

kenny0330 11-14-2009 11:33 PM

i mean 1979 Irwin 34 Citation manual,
sorry
kenny
kenny0330 AT gmail DOT com

riptide1 11-17-2009 02:54 PM

I would stay away from any boat that needs that much work.I own a citation 34 that was in much better shape when I bought it than you describe and you would not believe the work and $ it took to make seaworthy.Good luck with whatever you decide. Mark ps. if you or the current owner decide you want to sell any parts or if you have any other questions you can contact me at m_orbom@yahoo.com

Jeff_H 11-17-2009 03:09 PM

A boat like that could easily have a negative value, meaning that the costs of the parts and materials to put it together is far more than the boat would ever be worth, even if you bought the stuff used and wholesale and charged nothing for labor.

If you are going to rebuild a boat from near scratch then you should probably start with a design that is a high quality design that was well built. These were mediocre designs with medicre build quality.

Jeff

whathree 11-18-2009 01:14 PM

Rebuild an Irwin 34

Not a good idea! you can buy a great 79, ready to sail away in top notch shape with EVERYTHING you need from charts to a dinghy and OB motor. Equiped with so much stuff that it cant be listed, Sail away for 25K! write wha3@yahoo.com if you want to go there.
Bill

TomandKarens34 11-18-2009 03:34 PM

I own an Irwin 34. I will be able to salvage 80% of the interior, and will have to rebuild most of the systems on board. I paid $8000 for it. I enjoy the work so its not a negative to me. Never the less, it was no bargain. If the mast and sails were missing, I wouldn't have accepted it as a gift. Ditto for a non-running motor. I will end up having about $18000 in it and it will be worth $14000 if I'm lucky. Only get this one if your joy doing the repairs in your back yard for years, is equal to being on the water... and money is not your first consideration. A realistic evaluation of your skill set is in order here. If wood is not your friend and DC wiring design is not easy for you, fiberglass makes you itch and mixing epoxy is "icky".... How many motors have you rebuilt personally? I find this stuff rewarding and never run out of delight in fixing these sorts of things. But if your eye is on the water, and you short cut the repairs, this may be more opportunity for trouble than its worth.