Join Date: Jun 2000
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
This is a bit long but...
I just bought and 1981 37cc also. This is a project boat, a big project.... no engine, boat sunk so it means also new wood. Unfortunately the delivery truck could not get in the yard I planned so we had to unload in a yard a mile or so away, Have spent the last 2 weekend removing anything loose, ripped up the rotten teak & holly sole, pulled the shaft & prop and plugged the shaft tube, freed up all the frozen sea cocks (and closed them, all were frozen open) all so we could put it in the water and tow it to its new home for what I expect to be 2 years, Things I have found so far, will need all new plumbing & electrical, some fiber glass work were lots of add ons were installed and removed leaving large openings. May have to rebuild the rudder, have not even looked at the tanks yet, corrosion of the steel compression post support, that one I was not expecting and not sure what to do about it. And mold/mildew...steam presure wash should help with this.
Did I miss anything... looking at a 35k - 40k Budget of which I have spent 6K so far. (Moving, engine, boat, stands)
Wood .. Marine grade hydro tek 2K
Headliner & Laminate 1K
Plumbing & Electrical 2K - 3K
Fixed windows & hatch glass .5K
Roller furling 1.5K
Running Rigging 1K - 1.5K
Chain Plates .5K
Shaft , prop, stuffing box 1K
17.5k + 6K
First 25K should get the boat in the water then I expect to add electronics , and add ons as the budget lets me. I will be doing all the work.
Any comments, or information on how to do any of the above repairs will be welcome.
Whats good... Hull has no blisters that I have been able to find (Expecting some but appears to be in good shape) I bought and engine and transmision with 1700 hour in good running condition for $1k, Windless pulled through the deck a little, removed it last week and it looks repairable, no soft spots on deck that I could find. Sails were cleaned and restitched, mast and boom have been refinished, rigging is only a few years old. Thinking I might replace the chain plates with bolt through as they will be exposed when I remove the bulk heads. When done I will know what I have pretty much all will be new. Might put a web page together for future ref also..depends on time.