SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

lines lead aft Citation 31

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  zz4gta 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Have an Irwin Citation 31 on which I'm replacing all the lines.
Recently sailed a Septre 43 with every conceivable line lead to the cockpit. Very nice layout.

Wondering if anyone out there has lead their Vang, Reef Lines, and Outhaul aft to the cockpit.
If so, does anyone have pictures or diagrams showing how this was done.

Would very much like to hear from anyone who has done this successfully.

Thanking you in advance.

Paul R. Waggoner
13802 SE 52nd Place
Bellevue, WA 98006
Ph 425 / 641-1881[/FONT]
pwags at truth dot com

#2 · (Edited)
That would be a pretty expensive modification. A couple of Deck (cabin top organizers, extra winches, halyard blocks, mast/deck blocks, cleats, etc. You would be looking at $4,000 and that wouldn't include the new longer lines/halyards you need with that set up. yes it is nice to be able to control that from the cockpit but I say do what I do and use an autopilot, $500 for a simple tiller model or $1,500 for a complete wheel model with GPS interface.
I unfurl my genoa from the cockpit, set an easy course on the tiller pilot and walk to the mast to hoist my main sail, adjust my boom-vang, and topping lift.
Get back to the cockpit and either take over control of the steering or get a drink and lay back and let "otto" do the work. Life is good when you just hear the water lapping the boat and the occasional adjusting whine from the autopilot.:D

E-J
s/v Sailmates, 1973 Irwin 32 Classic.

#3 ·
Not expensive, you can take a winch or both off the mast for the cabin top. Deck organizers and rope clutches would be the other expense. I many cases it's just need for a longer lines and a few cleats or cam cleats.

If you pay to have it done... yes that would break the bank.

Harken Tech Corner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.