Fuel Consumption and Revs for IP350 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-13-2006 Thread Starter

Fuel Consumption and Revs for IP350

We are new owners of a 1997 IP350 and would like to understand the hourly average diesel consumption for the Yanmar 38 hp engine. If anyone has thoughts on the optimum revs for running the engine under load, that would also be helpful. Thanks.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-14-2006

I have a 2002 IP350 #131. It has a 40 HP engine with a Max Prop. For the most part I run the engine at 2800 to 3000 RPM. I generaly get an average of .75 GPH. When the boat was new we took a shake down cruise running into the wind and seas while running the engine at 3200 to3400 RPM which gave me fuel usage of 1.2 GPH. For what I understand is the Yanmar needs to run at a high RPM but I think if I needed to I could slow the engine down to 2400 RPM and prob. get around .5 GPH but then you are taking a chance of carbon build up. I think the max continual RPM for my engine is 3600.

For cruise planning I figure using 1 GPH. BTH I filled the tank with 44 gal. which was puishing it a bunch. Don't depend on the fuel gauge.

Mike IP350 #131
Aquila

Last edited by mikeronie; 10-14-2006 at 02:22 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-19-2006

Our IP 350 had some 1100 hrs on the engine when we sold her. At 2100 rpm, my normal running speed with the max-prop, we used 0.4 GPH. At 2500, this increased to 0.67. Having a Yanmar in both my farm tractor and the IP, I don't believe that you have to run them hard to prevent carbon buildup. Also holds for other diesels I have used in my farm tractors, and the Universal 50 in a Pearson 365. Never had carbon build-up, never have run them fast. Andrew was "Mary Cabell" Ip-350/88, now "Niketti" B-29/105

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.