Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Island Packet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007

vilanomark is on a distinguished road
Any Packet Cat owners??

My wife and I have looked at Island packet Cats and we like the liveaboard conditions it provides. I'm curious about its' sailing capabilities with that Delta Pod at the bow. I'm not into speed, but with that thing plowing thru the water I wonder if the boat actually behaves more like a barge.
Any info from anyone who has one or sailed on one would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2007

mikeronie is on a distinguished road
If you don't get an answer go to the email lists within sailnet and look up the Island Packet forum and ask the same question.
Mike IP350
Old 11-12-2007

Packetcat is on a distinguished road
Packetcat Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanomark View Post
My wife and I have looked at Island packet Cats and we like the liveaboard conditions it provides. I'm curious about its' sailing capabilities with that Delta Pod at the bow. I'm not into speed, but with that thing plowing thru the water I wonder if the boat actually behaves more like a barge.
Any info from anyone who has one or sailed on one would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark ....we own an IP Packetcat and have cruised on her from Great Lakes, ICW, Florida Keys and Bahamas. It is a terrific boat for live-aboard cruising ... dry, spacious, comfortable and safe.

Let me know if your still involved and we can talk at length.

Dick McCarthy
Old 05-13-2008

djmarchand is on a distinguished road
Hi Dick:

I saw your reply from several months ago as a Packet Cat owner. How does it sail? What percentage of a monohull speed can you achieve downwind, beam reach, and upwind. What is your tacking angle?

Thanks, David
Old 07-14-2008

jctoucan is on a distinguished road
Hi David
We just bought a Packet Cat and brought her up from NC to RI. We love the livability, the manueverability with the twin engines(and the "back-up" they provide as our port engine overheated on the first day-fresh water pump- and we had to go 40 miles on one engine). They are definitely motorsailers, if the wind was less than 8 knots, we would motor sail. yesterday,just sailing, we were doing 7 1/2 knots downwind with 20k apparent, 6k on a close haul w/12-15k of wind( and 5 ft waves off our beam). We had an Iroquois for 10 years which we loved but it fell far short of comfort. It sailed about 2 knots faster but because it was light, any type of head seas would sometimes stop it dead in its track. the only "barge effect" we experienced was in a thunderstorm with 50k gusts, 40k sustained and short, choppy seas head-on; we made 2 knots in 1 hour. We were babying the port engine, though, as we were heading to get our new water pump. Our fuel consumption was 3/4 gallon/hour when motorsailing(12k of wind downwind) on a 24 hour trip up the NJ coast and 1.25 gallons/hour on a stretch with no wind, some current and seas against us, and both engines at 2400rpms. Sorry I can't give you more detailed info about tacking angle or beam reach since the boat is still new to us. I agree with all of Dick M.'s comments; during that thunderstorm I felt very safe on the boat. The quality is unbelievable and there is tons of storage(but lots of things on the boat=slower performance). We looked at Dick's boat for sale and it's very clean, showing an owner who cares. We just found a newer one with more extras. Hope this helps; we plan to be owners for awhile.
Judy D.
Old 10-05-2011

PointOne is on a distinguished road
This is an old thread, and I want to revive it (if possible). Are there any more opinions out there on the Pocket Cat? They look like they might be old and slow and well built--PERFECT for people like me--old and slow and well built, and ugly.

Did I mention ugly?

Perfect, Yes? No? Please give me some facts on this tank.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.