Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Island Packet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008
Pearson 424 ketch

cwstewart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to cwstewart
About SP Cruiser

I am interested in the Island Packet SP Cruiser for cruising the US coastal, Carribean and US inland river systems.
Does anyone have any cruising experience they would share?
Thanks,
Quinn Stewart

Quotable Quote:
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
---- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Met a couple in Annapolis on one. They were quite pleased with it. Not sure how well it sails, but for the ICW and rivers it would probably work well, since you'll mostly be motoring.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2008

slikyrik is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up sp cruiser

Hi, I have sailed my SP cruiser in the UK for a year now. It is astonishingly sea kindly and stiff. I have experienced a couple of gales when 20 miles offshore without feeling concerned. She sails very well on any type of reach, runs ok but is a little limited pointing. She also needs early reefing due to her shallow long keel. She motors superbly and motor sails equally well.
The accomodation works well other than the second cabin is noisy if under motor at night with the engine under a berth-albeit with great access.
My only frustration with the boat is not being able to see the sails when setting or reefing.
Nevertheless she is superbly built, well designed and equally suited for (rare in the UK) very hot days, very wet days and very cold days. She will nurture you whatever! I sound like an Island Packet employee but am simply a very satisfied owner. If you want a fast boat under sail this is not the one, however its by no means slow - but if you want a supremely competent all rounder it certainly is. Do post if you have specific questions. As an example I leave tomorrow to take my boat from the south coast of England back home to the tip of Wales. It journey of about 320 miles that we will do two man in one leg in comfort. I wouldnt relish it in an open cockpit. We anticipate force 5-6 winds and moderate seas and she will love it!
regards, Ray

Last edited by slikyrik; 05-28-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-06-2008

myknjul is on a distinguished road
Is IP SP Cruiser the only boat of this type? Are there any other manufacturers building a trawler style boat with sails?
Old 03-05-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
myknjul: Sure there are. Check out the Nordhavn 56MS...she's pricey, but very seaworthy. You might also consider the Shannon 53HPS.

Old 03-05-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by myknjul View Post
Is IP SP Cruiser the only boat of this type? Are there any other manufacturers building a trawler style boat with sails?
Nauticat. Since the advent of the Euro though they go past "pricey" into the obscenity range for one newer than the 80's
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.