Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Island Packet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009

Northbeach is on a distinguished road
So are you really happy with your Island Packet?

I’m considering purchasing my second sailboat. I have come across a 1983 26 foot Island Packet MKII that is available. In reading the various forums it is clear that most Island Packet owners love their boats; built strong, good quality, good customer support. But, how does she sail? Is it an exhilarating experience, does she take your breath away in a stiff breeze or are you satisfied knowing you are surrounded by quality as the hours pass away?

I love the idea of quality and toughness (I've also been looking at a Southern Cross) but realistically I will probably never really need a true Blue Water, Southern Ocean capable tank. If I’m never going to venture offshore then maybe something lighter and faster is really what I am looking for.

Do you love your IPs? If so – why.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Northbeach
Seattle Washington
1973 Cal T/4 Hull #53
24' fibergalss - 8hp 2cycle Evinrude outboard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2009

IP32Haefen is on a distinguished road
I haven’t done nearly as much sailing as I would like but would not say it takes your breath away. For me that is saved for race boats carrying too much sail, on purpose, when the wind picks up. Having had too much sail up for the wind the IP just takes it in stride as the specs would suggest. It does seem to prefer to be sailed conservatively and I would not expect racers to like that but those who like to keep sailing when the wind picks up or have distance to travel would like that.

But it is not IMO a particularly great heavy weather boat based on how it handled the only storm I’ve been in with it. The wide beam, canoe body, and relatively lightweight meant the boat got pushed around more than other smaller, narrow beam but almost as heavy boats I’ve sailed. Not as bad as lighter faster boats so I could see why some think they are good when the seas pick up. Like all boats it is a compromise. If you come from faster lighter boats, then it is a good heavy weather boat, if you come from heavy narrow beamed full keel boats then it is not so good.

IP does pack a lot of good things into a small boat and has very good on the hook qualities. It is a warm and dry boat thanks to the freeboard, full liner and deep dry bilge. It is also a cool boat because all portlights and hatches open fully. This makes for a very enjoyable boat and sailing a safe and enjoyable pastime, life even.

IMO if you are not crossing oceans then blue water passage makers may not be the best choice and make an IP a better choice. If you spend the week dreaming of putting a rail in the water on Saturday then maybe the IP is not such a good choice. One of the people that sold me on this boat was a poster at this site who has many negative posts on the topic. My expectations and sailing style is almost the opposite of his so would of course like boats he doesn’t.

Be honest in what you will be doing with the boat and why you are buying it and chances are you’ll make the right choice.
Old 04-13-2009

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IP32Haefen View Post
Be honest in what you will be doing with the boat and why you are buying it and chances are youíll make the right choice.
Solid first post, IP32Haefen! I particularly agree with the quote above.

Welcome to SailNet.
Old 04-13-2009

IP32Haefen is on a distinguished road
Not a first post but I do not post often. In this case I just forgot password and no longer use the email account so added an IP32 to the name and created new account. Faster that way.
Old 04-13-2009

Northbeach is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your thoughts!

IP32Haefen,

Wonderfully thoughtful answer, Iíll need to read it a few more times to make sure I processed each point you addressed. I am looking at my second sailboat and will be moving up in size a little bit. What I really need to do is to clearly understand what I am looking for in my sailing experience-and only I can answer that. I have been concentrating on the physical changes and equipment that I want rather than deciding on the kind of sailing I am really interested in. Thanks again for your time. I look forward to more of your contributions on sailed!

Still looking for more IP owners to give me their thoughts.

Respectfully,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Northbeach
Seattle Washington
1973 Cal T/4 Hull #53
24' fibergalss - 8hp 2cycle Evinrude outboard
Old 04-13-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I have a Morgan Out Island and I often sailed with a friend who has a similar size Island Packet. We have similar performance, design, space, and action in a sea. We both love our boats for what they do for us as cruising "trucks". Some of the "featherdusters" easily pass us in light winds. Racers think our boats or "dogs". As so often said, all boats are compromises and you need to shop for your intended use. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 12-02-2009

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
So did you get a boat?
Old 12-18-2010

dbackiel is on a distinguished road
Ip 32120

We've got a 32'IP (#120) and love it for comfort and beauty, not speed -

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.