Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013

riverdog is on a distinguished road
Talking Wanted: rigging pictures of Islander 40 MS

G'day,

I have recently come under management of a 1972 Islander 40 MS with the slightly dubious, yet strangely fitting name "Leviathan". She is in generaly good shape for a boat her age, posably partly due to the fact that she's spent much of the last few years out of the water. She has endured at least two previous owners who were unsucsessfull in thier intentions to refloat her but i think I've got the best chance yet. I fell in love with this boat when I first saw her 4 years ago and could not pass up the chance to finally see her in the water and under her own power.

My intentions for outfitting and restoration are 'minimalistic' at best. I have a new masthead light (multi color) and bilge pumps but other than that i don't want anything else running on the batteries. She's never going to be a blue water cruiser again... at least not under my command. I just want her comfortable for some easy weekends to local aria islands... maybe a jaunt to Bikini at most. So I'm keeping the electronics as simple as posible and making everything that I can manual and or independantly battery powered (with solar or manual recharging).

The work required to get her under way is pretty streight forward and i have most of the materials required (thanks to previous owner) I'm comfortable with most everything that needs to be done but there are some points i'm not clear about. Most specificaly the standing and running rigging plan. The masts are unstepped and all the rigging and hardware has been removed... but it's been like that for a while now and noone's really sure how it all goes back together. I've inherited an oversized jigsaw puzzle but it didn't come with the picture on the box, if ye follow me. If someone could point me at some really good pictures of the standing rigging on an Islander 40 MS (specificaly the masthead configuration) I'm confident i could figure it out. I've never owned a ketch rigged boat before.

Actualy.. the rigging is all I'm tripping about at the moment. Everything else seems prety streight forward to me. May not end up how it was origionaly but I can get it sorted. I actualy just finished re-installing the steering cable last weekend.

Next weekend: Trimming and plumming the engine room. It's a HUGE engine room... by ratio, the boat I work on at work has a tiny, cramped engine room compaired to Leviathan's

So bottom line: need rigging pictures!

Cheers,
~Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Wanted: rigging pictures of Islander 40 MS

We need pictures too! Welcome to sailnet! could you be a bit more specific? Is she a ketch,cutter, sloop etc?

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2013

JeffPaes is on a distinguished road

The top layout is of the Charles Davies designed 40 MS first built in 72
The bottom diagrams are of the Doug Peterson designed P40 introduced in 79

I am the proud owner of the 1979 P40 hull number 5

I can provide whatever pictures anyone wants for the dual spreader sloop rigging of the P40, but I do not know how applicable that would be for the dual masted single spreader MS 40 Ketch that Riverdog is asking about.

I seriously simplified the P40 rigging when I got her and refitted her a couple of years ago. The original P40 was set up for ocean racing top sides [copied I think from Peterson's earlier NY 40 work for america's cup training] but used a stretched I36 cabin design inside. My P40 is incredibly similar now to the C&C 37/40 which I realized after I refitted and we sat at the dock next to a C&C - the hulls look identical side by side.
Old 07-04-2013

riverdog is on a distinguished road

Leviathan is ketch rigged, as shown in the upper picture there... the Charles Davies design.

And she might be circa 1973, rather than 72. I'm still gathering finer details, but that one's neither here nor there. Supose I'll have to send up some pictures at some point.

Cheers,

~Dan
Old 08-18-2013

sailingkiko is on a distinguished road

I live aboard my ms40 i can send you pictures of the rigging. Maybe you can help me too. Need the injector nozles ir típs for the sd33 Engine nissan any idea where to find them thanks
Old 05-05-2014

KP14 is on a distinguished road

sailingkiko,
I've been looking at an Islander 40 MS to buy but I can't seem to find much information on them. How is it? Any blister issues? What kind of information would you wish you knew when you first got her? Thanks!
Old 10-29-2014
I can't reMember

ezatsea is on a distinguished road

I'd like to take up the thread started by Riverdog, since he's left her in my hands pending a new owner....

To the party offering photos, they would be most welcome. Unfortunately this boat is powered with a Ford, so I can't be of much help with the Nissan injector issue.

What I could really use are the rigging specs should anyone have them laying around. Thanks,
Ed

Keep the boat IN the water,
keep the water OUT of the boat.

Tags
islander 40 , rigging

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.