SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Islander (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/islander/)
-   -   I-30 water tank issue (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/islander/149010-i-30-water-tank-issue.html)

nestorph 06-23-2014 03:23 PM

I-30 water tank issue

1 Attachment(s)
I just replaced the water pump. The boat was on the hard during the winter and apparently I didn't drain all of the water out of the tank but I don't know if that's part of my problem. Turns out that something is blocking some of the water from getting from the tank to the pump since water coming out of the faucets does so in fits and starts. I connected a bucketful of water directly to the pump and it works fine--water flows from the faucets well. There is some sort of gizmo attached to the shutoff valve from the tank before it gets to the pump. I've attached a picture. The gizmo can turn a bit but I don't know what it is or its purpose. If unknown, I'll just remove it and replace it with a direct hose. Any thoughts?

chuck53 06-23-2014 08:00 PM

Re: I-30 water tank issue

Looks like a check valve to me. Might be stuck closed or partially closed.

nestorph 06-23-2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck53 (Post 1953722)
Looks like a check valve to me. Might be stuck closed or partially closed.

You may be right. If so, then it seems to me to be installed in the wrong place. When I went to the ShurFlo site, they showed an installation with a check valve but it was located at the pump outflow. According to other articles, the check valve is typically in place to prevent hot water from backing up into the system. I'll remove and try and clean it in case it's clogged. Seems like it's not really doing anything worthwhile where it is right now.

Dettinger88 07-18-2014 05:35 PM

Hello,

I had the same question. Took mine off and apart...its actually a screen to prevent large chunks of junk from getting into the pump. Its not a very high quality screen....I removed mine.

Bryant

nestorph 07-18-2014 05:56 PM

Bryant:
I removed mine as well and everything is running fine.
Nestor

pdqaltair 07-18-2014 07:50 PM

You really do need the strainer. Don't pretend otherwise; it can save the pump and prevent a lot of faucet clogging. Sure, everything will run fine without it... for a time. Shurflo makes some nice cheap ones if the one you have cannot be fixed with a new screen, which it most probably can.

It's embarrassing to remove a correctly installed strainer simply because you can't be bothered to clean it or repair it.

nestorph 07-18-2014 08:14 PM

Well, I'm not one to ignore the voice of experience. If I can find the old one I'll clean it. Otherwise I'll check to see what Shurflo has to offer. Thanks

newhaul 07-18-2014 10:49 PM

I use one of these filters to keep the sediment from entering the tank to begin with. Camco Water Filter with Hose - Walmart.com

bvermeer 07-23-2014 12:34 PM

30 years with the same water tank, same Shurflo pump, without any filter at the tank or before the pump, and all is well. I do have a household charcoal filter between the pump and the faucet, but after the expansion tank. Water tastes sweet no mater where I get it from, including streams and falls. No plastic taste.

Bert Vermeer
s/v Natasha
Sidney, BC

nestorph 07-23-2014 01:22 PM

I just got my ShurFlo filter in the mail. For ten bucks and 15 minutes of work, I figured it'll be like chicken soup--can't hurt. I'm toying with the idea of drinking filter as well but plan on installing it under the sink and use it to filter the water at the main sink instead of the entire system.