Rudder bent - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-23-2014 Thread Starter

Rudder bent

Sucky way to end the season! My I-30 sits in a slip that has a notoriously low tide. I can't enter or leave 1-2 hours on either side of low tide. A couple of weeks ago I was preparing to leave when I realized the rudder seemed like it was stuck when steering the wheel across the center even though it was high tide. When I returned at low tide to check things, I realized that my rudder had been bent to starboard! Probably due to a combination being stuck in the mud at low tide and a passing storm or two with high winds. So now I have another unscheduled spring project.

Any advice on what steps to take to straighten it out? Is that even possible? I'm pretty good at DIY so I would prefer advice in that direction vs. "have the marina do it".
Thanks in advance!
Nestor
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-23-2014

Re: Rudder bent

I'll assume this is a freestanding spade rudder rather than a skeg or keel hung rudder? I'll further assume it's not the rudder that's bent, but rather the rudder post between the rudder and lower bearing? If these assumptions are true, I had the exact same problem on my Columbia 26. Here's how I fixed it:

Remove the rudder

Set up a sturdy table to support the rudder surfaces and hold it firm

Apply a long pole (we used a 25' mast) to the rudder shaft and bend it back straight

Measure the shaft diameter to see if it crimped at all (mine was crimped ~.20")

If crimped, squeeze it back to shape with a hydraulic press and/or grind it round again (I had to do a little of both)

Get another stainless tube or shaft that just fits inside the rudder shaft and is long enough to extend well past the unbent area

Drop the new shaft into the rudder shaft and fill it with epoxy to secure it in place. This is to make sure that any strength lost from bending or crimping is restored

Reinstall rudder, sail your boat!
post #3 of 4 Old 11-24-2014 Thread Starter

Well that all sounds simple enough!

Just need to find a spare 25 foot mast and see if Harbor Freight has a sale on hydraulic presses...

Thanks for the detailed description. Gives me lots to ponder over the winter!
post #4 of 4 Old 11-24-2014

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned I did all that at a boat yard with the help of one of their guys, and they had this stuff available. Cost me a couple hundred bucks for their time, but well worth it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.