Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2006
Cajun cruiser

ranes is on a distinguished road
Islander 37MS owners

Is there any 37MS owners out there. I would like to discuss boat stuff with you. I have out Dream Catcher in Baltimore. Please respond and let share info.

Last edited by ranes; 01-25-2007 at 06:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2007

thejazzcrooner is on a distinguished road
37 ms

Hello. I'm considering buying a ms 37 and I saw your post and wanted to ask your opinion on wether the ms 37 is a capable off-shore blue water boat. How well these great looking boats are constucted. Thank you. Hope to hear from you.
Old 11-16-2007
Not A Real Member

Grumpymx is on a distinguished road
Tis the start of the season ....

Hello,

I saw your post while trying to find out more info on my recently acquired Islander 37 M/S.

Let's share...
Old 12-12-2007

nwr is on a distinguished road
islander 37ms owners

I have a 1973 37Ims that i've had for 5 years. she's now for sale since we're now 2 boat owners, bought a 45 ALOA Ketch. originally a Yachtcraft Kit, sold in 1973 hull and deck. completely rebuilt interior and all systems and running rigging. listed for sale on yachtworld or call 843-364-1407 cel. with Perkins 4-107 (526 hrs) 150 gal fuel(1000NM + 6kt range) 180 gal water. all systems/wiring/piping/plumbing new since 2004. full engineering drawings onboard. documented. as far as being a good seaboat, we brought her across the gulf of mexico, New Orleans to Tampa, in June 2003 in a 50kt storm, seastate 6-7, seas 16-24 ft. under reefed main rode good at 7 - 8 kts. stable in the storm. st4000MKII autopilot handled her the whole trip of 3 days. narrow beam and good ballast ratio kept her on her feet. cockpit was a bit wet with the blowing spray but didn't have the inside complete enough yet to ride it out inside. it was rough enough that i was glad i wasn't in my 36 Catalina which didn't ride anywhere near as nice in a high sea state.
neal richardson
Old 01-09-2008
Cajun cruiser

GrumpyMX

I am sorry that I have not been back to check on my thread. I am glad there is another person out there that has purchased a 37MS. We have had our for 2 seasons now on the Chesapeake. We are having alot of fun with her. I love all of the elbow room. We have 2300 hours on the perk and still runs very strong 4.5kts at 2000 rpm. I wish we could find some systems data, we have 2 40 gallon fuel tanks, 2 60 gallon water tanks. We have an FHP reverse cycle AC, the original ice box. DreamCatcher is a heavy boat so we struggle with mid summer lack of wind. We have no problem motor sailing around. I tried to attach an image, but can't sens me a good email adress and I will send you some pictures of the DeamCatcher .
Old 01-09-2008
Not A Real Member

Grumpymx is on a distinguished road
From what I have seen so far the I37MS is a steady motor sailor, with a solid hull, deck, and pilot house. Fantastic headroom, big cockpit, and it will sleep a crowd if needed. Great power plant layout, lots of room to work, a bit overpowered which I think does not hurt in a motor sailor.

Sails like a truck close hauled, but that was expected. Could always be the sailor not the boat ....

I didn't want a pure sailboat, I wanted a pilot house motor sailor that could sail pretty well. I am
very happy with the performance to $$ ratio of this old gal.

It has a fin keel, with a big spade rudder, rather exposed prop and shaft and seven non opening widows in the pilot house that are the size of large hatches.

nwr seems to have to record for climbing the tallest sea in his I37MS, and so probably knows best what they will handle when really pushed.

Is it a true blue water sail boat? Without getting to far into the "What is a blue water sailboat" thing, I would say NO. It is not a boat that I would circumnavigate with, but it is a great little coastal cruiser that can handle a bit of a blow without falling to pieces.

Last edited by Grumpymx; 01-11-2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-17-2008
Cajun cruiser

Grump got your email

I got you email and tried to reply(no joy) I don't know what happened but here is our story. We bought Dreamcatcher in New Orleans a year after Katrina. She had some scars, but nothing to bad. I moved her to Annapolis. We love this boat. Your pictures inspire me to keep knocking down " The List". The main furler works ok, I rather hank on for weather. We lost the furling jib in a hurricane that came up the East Coast last year. We have had our boat up to 8.5 kts in a 25 knot wind on the beam. The boat feels solid and does not pop or creek when loaded. Take care and good sailing down South.
Old 02-07-2008

nwr is on a distinguished road
I 37 Ms

Sounds like ranes got the boat that was at mandeville on lake P. there in new orleans. we looked at her and liked the overall idea, mine has the motor under the salon vice under the cockpit. we looked around and bought one that was in michigan and had her trucked to new orleans in 02. moved her to charleston on her own bottom in mid 03. storm and all. she's not intended as an all weather boat, nothing this small is but with a narrow beam and good ballast ratio she stays on her feet in a blow. like any hull you have to keep the right amount of sail up for the wind. i have the schaeffer old style roller furler and roll up the sails to stow so we can change a sail easily without fighting the sail on deck. just stuff the rolled up sail down the fore hatch into the vberth and hoist the new one attached to the furler. I lost my asymetrical drifter and one jib when i left them rolled and hoisted in a gale while at the dock here in CHS. wind blew over 60 and the slack in the lines let them get loose enough that it tore up both sails. lesson learned, unless you have a really tight roller setup take down the sails for the storms inport.
Trying to sell her now that we're two boat owners. pass the word, good boat for a couple or small family with the vberth doule, mid double and aft single under the cockpit.
neal
843-364-1407 cel call anytime, i love to talk about "my baby"
Old 02-14-2009

seado5491 is on a distinguished road
Just inherited

Hi All,

I just inherited a 1977 37' Islander MS. My in laws and I are looking to redo this boat and would love some pictures of your boats (interior, exterior, cockpit and engine room) to give us some fresh ideas. Any help would be great. Thanks! Please PM me to get my Email address to send the pictures.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Islander 37MS owners-islander.jpg   Islander 37MS owners-islander-int.jpg  
Old 03-11-2009

Sailorrivers is on a distinguished road
Reply to seado5491

Mark,
This is very interesting. I am the last guy that tried to purchase this boat from your Inlaws in March. I looked it over real close and have some suggestions regarding how I would approach this sailboat.

Since you are now the proud owner I would recommend that you concentrate on repairing all the structural problems first.

1) The connection of the backstay and the fiberglass really needs some attention. Those cracks do not look good at all. If you are not a fiberglass guy I would get some help. You don't want the mast to come falling down on you. 2) Find someone who knows how to maintain and fix that engine. Make sure any oil leaks etc. get fixed. Clean up that engine compartment. Check out that bilge. If you have oil in there and start discharging it overboard you could get yourself a big fine from the EPA. Many places that offer moorage require a bilge inspection. 3) Replace the broken fiberglass engine beam that is under the engine. 4) Replace the fiberglass beam that is broken under the floor boards under the middle berth. This is going to be difficult to do. It looks like the berth will have to be dismantled and probably the floor will need to be pulled up. 5) While you are doing this it would be a good time to bring the head up to code. The head is currently illegal for Washington waters unless you are off the coast a few miles. You can't discharge raw sewage overboard in Washington waters. You need a pump out fitting and a properly plumbed head and sewage tank. 6) The keel needs some work where there is damage that needs fixing. Do this before you put the boat back in the water.

Get something inside like Dryzair to get the moisture problems taken care of right away. Clean all that mold and mildew that is collecting on the headliner and other places immediately. Check the main sail and jib immediately to stop mold. The companionway slider hatch leaks and needs to be fixed. All of the caulking at the windows and port holes needs to be replaced or you will have more moisture problems that will wreck your interior wood.

Look over the various ropes real close. You may need to replace halyard lines and sheets real soon.

Obviously it needs a stove, diesel cabin heater, and ice box. Curtains would be good to prevent some UV rays and give you some privacy. It may be a good idea to find/purchase a backup motor for a while. Remember the definition of boat - break out another thousand !

I have more ideas if you are interested but I don't want to be a pain.

Good luck,
Dan

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.