1976 Islander 28 - Bilge/Keel Bolts/Keel Issue - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-21-2015 Thread Starter

1976 Islander 28 - Bilge/Keel Bolts/Keel Issue

I am in the process of purchasing a 1976 Islander. I love the boat, but noticed that the keel bolts are very rusty and the keel, when pulled out for survey has extensive cracking along the joint, known by some as a "smile."

Has anyone ever dealt with dropping a keel on one of these boats...the botyard says they may have to do this and and could cost thousands...

Any thoughts.?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-21-2015
Boat Bum

Re: 1976 Islander 28 - Bilge/Keel Bolts/Keel Issue

No wife, no kids, no debt.

Last edited by sharkbait; 02-02-2016 at 08:41 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-21-2015 Thread Starter

Thank you.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-02-2016 Thread Starter

The price for this boat may be dropped significantly..... I wonder if this damage looks to bad to repair, if I get the boat for a few thousand. this would have to be done at a boatyard.
Attached Thumbnails
Keel cracking 1f.jpg   Port aft viewf.jpg  
post #5 of 13 Old 01-02-2016
One of None

Going by the first photograph it's not that bad Question is. what are your abilities? A boat that old May have A soggy or soft shoe which is the area on the bottom of the bilge the keel bolts to and through many people have done this with out spending thousands

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
lonokai (01-03-2016)
post #6 of 13 Old 01-02-2016
Senior Moment Member

If the bolts are bad and the keel is lead it's a big deal to fix - recasting the keel with new bolts is the proper way to do it. A boat that size can be cobbled up with hanger bolts sistered to the originals but it's cobbling it up.

If the keel is iron it's a pretty simple job - pull the old studs and install new.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-03-2016 Thread Starter

deniseO30 Can you elaborate on what they've done?
post #8 of 13 Old 01-03-2016
One of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonokai View Post
deniseO30 Can you elaborate on what they've done?
youtube has all kinds of vids showing this type of work! Basically it's done by the DIYers by having the keel blocked higher and the stands adjusted so the boat stays in place when the bolts are loosened and the keel is down jacked or blocks removed until it's clear to work on. It can be dangerous but it's been done that way quite often. If you and friends and or family don't have the skills don't even try it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bSOg7aQ44eg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/jb9xWHVT3_Q

https://youtu.be/iEUk1NRz-oo

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 01-03-2016 at 12:22 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-04-2016

The images do not give facts to answer your question. How about some details? First, does the hull leak water through that joint? Second, does the gap change when the hull is lifted (or when keel is lifted - jacked Up toward hull). Third, does the hull distort when the boat is lifted or lowered while the keel is resting.

My boat's keel is well secured, does not leak and I still have a similar cosmetic issue.

I give it some epoxy loving every other season. If the hull is not soft and the keel doesn't move,
I would likely do the same if I owned that boat.

I own a 1979 i28 and have done the repair for a soft hull aft of the keel (she stubbed her toe)...
I also did the repair for the crushed cabin sole under the mast step.
And the shaft strut re-bedding.
And installed new standing rigging.
And new head w/lines and Nauta holding bag.
And 70amp Balmar alternator, BlueSea dual master switch and auto charging relay
And a few Atomic4 upgrades from both Moyer and Indigo.
And a custom rework of the rudder & rudder head with addition of a removable short tiller option -
(for the Raymarine TillerPilot) keeps cockpit clear while making long passages.

I have changed careers and am unable to enjoy the boat.
Anyone looking for a solid i28 with a fresh water history can see it on yachtworld, Milwaukee, wi.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-04-2016
Learning the HARD way...

The repair is not that unusual, and it can be done by several companies. I Broomfield and Sons in Providence, RI, and Mars Keel (somewhere near the great lakes) are two of them. The keel on my boat was repaired by I Broomfield.

Here is a link to where you can get more information; Keel Bolt Replacement | MarsKeel (Production)

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.