Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008

amsb is on a distinguished road
I37 rudder post

My I37 rudder post seems too loose in the tube, it moves about an eighth of an inch side to side.

Has anyone added bearings to the tube, or is this something I shouldn't worry about?

Rod

Leading Edge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2008

sailho is on a distinguished road
Mine too

I have recently purchased an Islander 28 with a siliar problem. I have not addressed this issue yet. When I learn something I will share it with you for sure.
Hit me back, Scott
Old 11-24-2008
Cajun cruiser

ranes is on a distinguished road
when we had our 37MS out this past spring I did notice a phonolic ring at the top of the rudder at the hull. Ours was hanging out and cracked. I did not think anything about it and later learned the hard way. My rudder started to catch going thru center under load. I realized this ring was not a spacer but a brearing of sorts. Our last sail fo the seasom in 20kts close reach our shaft failed. I bleive this is unrelated to the lower bearing and more about corrosion. I am building a rudder and will replace this bearing or sleeve to take out the play. Is the play at the top of the tube above the tube boot, or is the play at the rudder/hull area? I am also trying to find info on how this system is made up. It is hard to plan without blueprints or diagrams. If you find any sources of information will you please post.
Old 11-25-2008

Paul Comte is on a distinguished road
Rudder stock & tube bearing repair

All of these boats with need this repair eventually and there are several solutions ranging in effectiveness and cost. Free and "better than nothing" would be install sleeves made from plastic jugs. I think you would need to drop the rudder to wrap the sleeves around the stock...

The other end of the spectrum would be to replace the tube with a modern system which has two bearings, one at the top and one at the bottom. The best systems have "spherical" bearings which can follow along when the rudder is loaded and its shaft bends. Big project, more money...

I can wish for one of those great modern rudder tube bearing systems for our i28 but am more likely to invest in a new Genoa... My repair will follow the strategy shown in one of the West System project guides.

They show how their epoxy system with a Graphite additive can be injected into the existing tube where it flows around the stock to create a new bearing surface. I think their guide was "002-550 Fiberglass Boat Repair & Maintenance".

Although you might perform this job with the boat in slings, you have to prep the rudder first. The best & longest lasting repair would come from having time to polish the shaft first. Some yards around here will accommodate a boat in the slings overnight. The correct epoxy would be cured in six to eight hours and you could be back in the water the next morning.

Also, I believe one of the "Offshore" magazines (Cruiser or Navigator) recently had an article showing a worn rudder stock getting "sleeved" with a new bearing surface.

Good luck!
Paul Comte i28
Cold Milwaukee, WI
Old 11-25-2008

Paul Comte is on a distinguished road
Rudder post repair - follow up - ref

I found that magazine story on rudder repair. It was in "Ocean Navigator" September 2008 issue.

Good Luck with your repairs.

Paul Comte i28
Milwaukee, WI
Old 11-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Comte View Post
All of these boats with need this repair eventually and there are several solutions ranging in effectiveness and cost. Free and "better than nothing" would be install sleeves made from plastic jugs. I think you would need to drop the rudder to wrap the sleeves around the stock...

The other end of the spectrum would be to replace the tube with a modern system which has two bearings, one at the top and one at the bottom. The best systems have "spherical" bearings which can follow along when the rudder is loaded and its shaft bends. Big project, more money...

I can wish for one of those great modern rudder tube bearing systems for our i28 but am more likely to invest in a new Genoa... My repair will follow the strategy shown in one of the West System project guides.

They show how their epoxy system with a Graphite additive can be injected into the existing tube where it flows around the stock to create a new bearing surface. I think their guide was "002-550 Fiberglass Boat Repair & Maintenance".

Although you might perform this job with the boat in slings, you have to prep the rudder first. The best & longest lasting repair would come from having time to polish the shaft first. Some yards around here will accommodate a boat in the slings overnight. The correct epoxy would be cured in six to eight hours and you could be back in the water the next morning.

Also, I believe one of the "Offshore" magazines (Cruiser or Navigator) recently had an article showing a worn rudder stock getting "sleeved" with a new bearing surface.

Good luck!
Paul Comte i28
Cold Milwaukee, WI
Great, thanks for the info Paul
Old 11-26-2008

121Guy is on a distinguished road
Tube play

Hi,

I did the West System job on our old Tartan 33. It worked great and not only eliminated the slop but also made the stock turn in the tube easier due to the graphite coating. The big hassle in the job is removing the rudder, perfectly cleaning and polishing the stock and then making sure the insides of the tubes are very clean for the epoxy to stick. You use a very small amount of epoxy mixted with graphite to create dime sized bearing surfaces for the stock. Really a nice fix!

Good luck!

121Guy
Old 11-28-2008

Thanks, 121

I will take a look at the West system for sure. Thanks for the direction
Old 12-02-2008

amsb is on a distinguished road
Rudder post

[Ours seems to have play both at top and bottom. The supporting glass at the top seems very thin, I am worried about strength, I am thinking about making up a flange and attaching it to the cockpit sole somehow to take the play out of the top part.

I am staggered your post broke, it is such a strong unit.

Let me know if you come up with a solution.. May comes fast when you have these things hanging over your head.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.