Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013

Creager is on a distinguished road
Re: Compresion post repaired

Sailho, How did you jack up your mast. Did the loose turnbuckles give you any trouble with the mast not being stable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2013

510datsun is on a distinguished road
Re: Compression post repaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creager View Post
Sailho, How did you jack up your mast. Did the loose turnbuckles give you any trouble with the mast not being stable?
I kinda covered how I jacked up the cabin top, mast, from my whole experience with this fix, you really need to de-mast the boat. To fix the counter top sag, you need to completely remove the metal compression post, the mast wires run through the post, making it near impossible to remove with the mast wires connected.

Safety, convince, and easier to work on the repair with the mast removed goes a long way with this repair. This can be a costly repair if done by a contractor or boat yard. You save plenty by doing it yourself, spend some of the saving, its well worth it, on de-masting the boat.

The repair will take you 4 or more days to complete, long time to suspend the mast of the compression post. Most experienced riggers can bring down the mast with the boat still at the dock with or without a crane.

Oh, one of my chain plate bulk heads, the forward port one, was completely rotten from the chain plate leaking, a previous owner used silicone. If you have chain plates that have been leaking, a good probability, and your shrouds could fail. My bulk head looked fine until I removed the chain plate. I was able to fix because safely because the mast was down. Another point for de-masting.

Good Luck whichever way you go.
Old 04-12-2013

Re: Compression post repaired

Thank You for your positive comments on my fix post. I was hoping the effort was worth it to the Islander 28 community.

I do wish I had taken pictures of how I did the cabin top jack up part. I was pretty busy at the time and not really wanting to snap pictures.

Thanks All!
Old 04-12-2013

Creager is on a distinguished road
Re: Compresion post repaired

Sailho, thanks for the info. You confrimed my thoughts on de masting because I didn't know how long the fix woud take. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creager:1015759
Sailho, thanks for the info. You confrimed my thoughts on de masting because I didn't know how long the fix woud take. I appreciate the feedback.
Ah, I was the one who gave you the advice not Sailho, sorry Sailho, at least I think I was. I'm 510datsun, I posted up how I fixed the compression post with plenty of pictures, just didn't have the jack up pictures.

I just took some pictures on how I jacked up my cabin top, but my mast was off. I will post them tomorrow night or Monday.
I took the metal post out because it was driving me nuts thinking about having to fish the mast wires through the small holes then the tube itself. I'm going to drill the holes out to 1 3/8 and put in 1 inch PVC pipe, wires will pass through easy with no hanging up.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.