SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Islander 37ms / Yachtcraft Window replacement

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Grumpymx 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 1977 Yachtcraft 37ms Kit boat. This boat was the same as the Islander 37ms boats. This has 7 large windows in the Pilothouse. These windows are Plexiglas with plastic frames. I wish to replace these windows since the frames are separating and the windows are starting to leak under heavy rain. The Plexi is also scuffed so even if I fix the leaks without replacing the frames when I take out the Plexi I will probably break the frames. With all of that being said I was looking to figure out what you guys have done to fix these problems. I was talking to motion glass which makes custom windows for boats and they said that given the curvature of the boat that glass will not work properly. They also said that they have many Islander owners contact them to get windows and they haven't found a good place to send them. I would love to know what you guys have found. What works and what doesn't work. Thanks a million.

~Mark

#2 ·
I have safety glass in aluminum frames on my boat. I'll drop by the boat and see if there are any manufacturing marks or numbers on the glass that may give you a head start on finding out who made them. Although the aluminum frames do oxidize and sweat a little, the glass and aluminum is still holding up well after 39 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.