Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009

Soontobecruiser is on a distinguished road
5/8" Lewmar Winch Handle

Does anybody know where to get this non standard winch handle? We have a 1972 Islander 36 that has the old Lewmar winches on it. West Marine had 5 of them in their entire system 2 years ago, now they have none and we need a second one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2009

dhendry is on a distinguished road
our host sailnet has some listings, a quick web search reveals others.
Old 08-10-2009

topcat2 is on a distinguished road
5/8 drive winch handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soontobecruiser View Post
Does anybody know where to get this non standard winch handle? We have a 1972 Islander 36 that has the old Lewmar winches on it. West Marine had 5 of them in their entire system 2 years ago, now they have none and we need a second one.
Hi
Not sure if your still looking for a 5/8 drive handle .
last year when i needed an old lewmar winch part, i searched the net for ' winchspares' .
Suggest you try them if you wish .
Hope it helps you.
regards TOPCAT2
Old 08-10-2009
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Are you talking about the winch handle with a 5/8 " square drive? I may have one. There is an old square drive winch handle in my "stuff" box.

George
Old 09-07-2009

Soontobecruiser is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the answers. We ended up getting a few square drive handles in Annapolis and grinding them down to fit.
Old 04-20-2012

arborjockey is on a distinguished road
Re: 5/8" Lewmar Winch Handle

Can you post a picture of your winch for me. I have a square drive with no markings and im trying to identify it.
Old 04-20-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

arbor,

I don't think you are likely to get an answer. You are replying to 2 1/2 year old posting. Soontobecruiser hasn't posted anything else at Sailnet since 2010.

You could try posting your question in the Gear and Maintenance board along with a couple of pictures that show the square hole and a measurement of the square hole.

Alternatively, you can try some of the marine consignment shops around the country. A large number of them have been discussed on these boards over the years. To find the Sailnet postings containing them, use Google and enter search terms site:sailnet.com consignment.

As you talk with the consignment shops, keep an open mind about possible solutions. Personally, I should think that you might be better served in the long term by replacing the oddball winches. If you aren't looking for the self tailing variety, used ones are available at very reasonable prices.

I will mention Bacon Sails specifically because I am familiar with them and they are close by. The other guys are undoubtedly just as good. Bacon's has a huge inventory. Their web site shows some of the stuff they have, but calling tends to produce better results. Their phone number is 410-263-4880. They get calls from all over the world and ship stuff so you don't need to visit in person. BTW, I have no relationship with Bacon's other than as a customer.

When I was in there last week buying some stuff I noticed they also sell a rubbery device you can put on non-self tailers to turn them into self-tailing winches of sorts (they feature line grippers but no line stripper piece). I don't have any experience with them so I can't speak to how well they work, but they are inexpensive and might be worth an experiment. Maybe someone who knows them better could comment?

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 04-20-2012

arborjockey is on a distinguished road

Wow thanks a lot tom. Im implementing the wench into the tree industry. I started a thread in the maintenance forum. 1 guy said my wench looked like an old lewmar so I went with that but seem to have hit a dead end. The pics are there. I wish I would of done more research befor my purchase. I never anticipated it being broke or having to track down parts. I feel like a fish out of water here. Funyy thing because on my arborist forum im always hassling people for not knowing what their talking about. And here I am