Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road
Re: Islander 29

Luc,
One of the boats we are going to look at is a 1965. But now reading they were only built in 68/69. We are completely new to sailing and probably should be looking at something newer, but something about these older boats and their construction allures me. Once you putter around and make it yours, you can have an nice boat for years. Here is the link, let me know what you all think please.
Ron

Islander29 - St. Catharines Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji St. Catharines Canada.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2012

Nick Johnsson is on a distinguished road

I just joined sailnet so can't post private messages yet. I would like to get in contact with Brentpd as I just bought a 1969 Islander 30 up in Vancouver Canda.
Byrd151, I also have chain plate issues with my 30, what did you do to make your chain plates bullet proof?

I am most interested in getting in touch with any '68 or '69, Islander 29 or 30 owners in BC or the Pacific Northwest.

Regards, Nick.
Old 08-08-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Nick, the last time Byrd151 posted was January of 2011. He may not be monitoring the boards any longer. Similarly, BrentPD has only two posts -- he may have gotten what he needed and moved on. He last posted only two months ago, though, so he might still be monitoring. But let's talk about chain plates.

Good for you! Inspecting the chain plates on a boat of that age is wise. Stainless is subject to crevice corrosion where it is oxygen deprived, and that slowly eats away at the metal. Less metal, less strength. Important stainless steel items on a boat that can suffer from crevice corrosion include chain plates and keel bolts. If chain plates fail, you can lose your mast. If the keel bolts fail, you will probably lose your entire boat. Your model of Islander 30 was designed by McGlassen himself and differs from mine so I don't know how your keel is attached. I hope it is the encapsulated type, in which case there are no keel bolts.

While I can't help you with your specific year and model of Islander, I can point to some good posts that address the general subject. Here's one that leads to blog about how the owner did it. This posting contains some great advice from Sailingdog, who was one of the most highly respected contributors on the board while he was here. Here's some more insight on the chain plate setup.

Finally, I wanted to include some how-to posts on rebedding your chain plates to guard against crevice corrosion. There is not universal consensus on what to use for the rebedding, but butyl tape has worked for me and is recommended by senior members of these boards. Take a look at this one. Just so you know, not all butyl tape is created equal. The stuff you can buy at hardware stores isn't very stretchy or sticky, traits you really need in abundance for pieces that move around some, such as chain plates. You can buy the best butyl tape from Mainesail here on this board at a very reasonable price. Use this Mainesail posting to do so. Mainesail is also one of the most respected people on this site and does boat maintenance professionally. Be sure to read through his maintenance articles. There's also one for rebedding deck hardware using butyl tape.

Regards,

Tom
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 08-08-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-14-2012

CMKF is on a distinguished road

I have a 1966 Islander 29, Hull #93. I understand that some owners have moved their chainplates outboard, rather than through the deck. For many reasons I would like to look into doing that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

On the information re: not making I-29s until 1968, that is when they made several changes internally, at least according to several people that I have talked to, including one who used to wire them at the factory.
Old 10-18-2012

Nick Johnsson is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your input Tom it's most helpfull. I'm at work currently with a very poor internet connection, hence the slow reply.
Take care, nick.
Old 10-18-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

You're welcome, Nick! Let us know how your maintenance projects go.

Regards,

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 03-03-2013

brad-low is on a distinguished road
Re: Islander 29--Yanmar repower?

Hi again Islander 29 owners. Still trying to contanct other owners in/near the SF Bay area for exchange of ideas, hints, experiences etc. Want to hook up with anyone who has a Yanmar 2GM type diesel in their Islander 29. I have removed the Atomic Bomb and would love to check out the installation of engine bed and motor in another 29. If you know of one, please pass along info on getting a few pics and measurements. Thanx!
Old 02-28-2014

cellosail is on a distinguished road

Hi Folks,
I have a 1966 I-29 which I purchased in 2001, and I still love it. Sails great, built like a tank, some upgrades over the years, but worth the effort. Mine has a Volvo 2002. I haven't seen any out on the Chesapeake Bay.