Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011

hanscan is on a distinguished road
If you decide, use a flexible Hose from the Water Lock to the port Locker, loop up to above Cockpit sole level, back down and back to port quarter. 8-10" above Waterline and 4-6" from the Transom. I also added a 4" Hose to the Through- hull. No more "Station wagon effect" and no more Soot on the Transom.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2011

kentg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanscan View Post
If you decide, use a flexible Hose from the Water Lock to the port Locker, loop up to above Cockpit sole level, back down and back to port quarter. 8-10" above Waterline and 4-6" from the Transom. I also added a 4" Hose to the Through- hull. No more "Station wagon effect" and no more Soot on the Transom.
thanks for the tip! will look into that when I repower.
Old 12-16-2011

bvermeer is on a distinguished road
B30 Exhaust

Kent

I moved the exhaust to the port side, about 10" forward of the stern, about 12" above the resting waterline. I inserted a 2" piece of hose in the through hull to keep dirty water from running down the hull. No smell, no soot on the transom. Works like a charm. I will be keeping it there with the new Beta.
Old 12-17-2011

Bert,
what did you do with the through hull in the transom, glass it in?

kent
Old 12-17-2011

The stern through-hulls (all four of them) are still there. Two used for the cockpit drains, the others used for the manual bilge pump and two electric bilge pumps. I'm putting a water separator in the exhaust system so I will be linking that to the manual bilge pump as well.

So today I'm into the 80th hour of sanding the bottom off "Natasha". When I removed the bottom paint (scrapping) to deal with the blisters I found that it was the previous repair that had failed. Someone, somewhere in the past, repaired a bunch of random blisters. Those repairs have been very successful with none of them re-blistering, and no new blisters. However, the barrier coat they put on blistered completely. I suspect the hull wasn't dry enough when the barrier coat was applied. So I have been sanding all remnants of the barrier coat off down to the original gelcoat and, in places, down to the fiberglass. It's been lots of fun so far!
Old 12-18-2011

I feel your pain, my prior owner never barrier coated, just added more coats of bottom paint. It looked like I had big blisters, but was just between layers of bottom paint. last summer I took a wood chisel to the old paint and spent probably 40 hours just scraping off the old paint. it was so thick sanding didnt work!
Old 02-11-2012

Well the day is here! I am splashing Jazzed after about 4 months on the hard with a new Beta 16, and Flex o Fold 13X10 folding prop! Will post some pics after I get them downloaded from the camera.

Hows it going Bert? Would love to see pics of the sail drive when done.

kent
B30
Jazzed
Old 02-12-2012

hanscan is on a distinguished road
This News is the latest, to late for you kent, Polly stripper is used by some boat yards, it's
cheap, safe and it works. Cheers! Splash with Champangne or Tequila

hans
B30
Passat
Old 04-03-2012

Re: Bahama 30 exhaust

Hey Kent

The Beta 20 is finally running! After much trial and tribulation, all the parts have arrived and she started on the first attempt! I've had the Islander out for a test run and all works just fine, very nice and quiet with minimal vibration. A bit more tweeking on the exhaust and controls and we'll be ready for the summer! How is your project going?
Old 04-04-2012

Re: Bahama 30 exhaust

got mine done and splashed. She started on the first try, had problems putting her back in the slip as the shift cable broke as we pulled into the marina. All fixed with new cables. Routing the exhaust out the side was a smart move. Also really like the flex o fold prop, although we have had minimal boat time because of the crappy weather. I am looking forward to a spin within the next couple weeks. I would love to get up for your rondevouz but dont think we can get up there that early. We usually cruise in August.

Also I am having a half hull made by a gentleman in Ontario, I think. Had lines reconstructed from the sales brochures. If you are interested in one let me know, I can hook you up.

kent