Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011

joeording is on a distinguished road
Islander 30 Mk II Tanks

My girlfriend and I just bought our second sailboat, a 1971 Islander 30 Mk II. There's a long to-do list for it, but something has me puzzled. Where is the water tank? Based on what I've read, there is a tank built in to the boat somewhere, but I can't seem to find it, or much evidence of its existence.

Looking in the bilge, the shape of the (rather shallow) bilge sure looks like the tank is under the cabin sole, slightly left of center. It sounds hollow when I knock on that area. But where is the access? The forward sole board in the head doesn't reveal any access to a tank, nor is there anything obvious in any of the lockers. The only thing I've found that looks like it would go to the tank is a hose in the locker under the kitchen sink. It goes down under the cabin sole, and the off to port, but it's routed behind/under the area where the stove and drawers in the galley are, and I have no idea where it terminates.

The way the water system is set up now is there's a pressure regulator for the shore water in the cockpit, which goes to a tankless water heater, which is plumbed to the sink in the galley and the sink in the head. Those sinks drain straight out via their own thru-hulls. No tank, no pump, etc.

There is no other deck fill for a water tank, just one for the fuel tank, but the deck has been painted, so it could've been patched over and painted over well enough to hide its location.

The only other thing I can think of is the fittings are in the bilge opening, which is full of scummy water and I haven't cleaned it out yet. I've got some bilge cleaner marinating in there at the moment, perhaps all will be clear when I get that cleaned out.

I also wonder where the holding tank should go. At the moment the head is direct discharge, which is a no-no since we're trying to get it ready for liveaboard in a marina. The thru-hulls for the head are under the starboard dinette, and the locker has a cutout that seems like it was meant to fit a smallish tank. Is this where other people have their holding tank? I've read about people having it in the v-berth, which doesn't sound terribly appealing since the thru-hulls are the opposite direction, and potential smells since that's where we'll be sleeping.

In summary: is there a tank under the cabin sole? If so, how do I get at it? If not there, where is your water tank? Where is your holding tank?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2011

shogan50 is on a distinguished road
Tank Location

It is under the V Birth in mine.
Old 01-30-2011

I did some more investigating, you're right that the tank is in the V berth. The hose runs through the port hanging locker in the V berth, and there's a T fitting which looks like it ran up to the where the deck fill used to be. It's been filled and painted over, you can't tell where it was. I think there's non-skid over it now.

I have a couple of follow-up questions: is there a way to seal the top without glassing it in that won't make the water taste weird or leech chemicals? I have a tube of 3M 4000 UV that I've been using for deck hardware and portlights, but I don't know if that's good for this application. It looks like it was screwed down previously, some residue from a seal maybe but it was cleaned up well and hard to tell what was there, maybe butyl rubber?

The gel coat that's in there now is in good shape. Should I paint it anyway? Epoxy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-06-2011

Bingo is on a distinguished road
We have a 74 Islander 30 Mk II, she's our pride and joy. Not sure how much benefit this to you but my water tank is as well directly under the forward V berth, the only access I have to it is by a plastic screw on circular cover that's is situated directly in the centre of the V berth approx. 1/2 foot towards the bow from the drop in cushion.

When I fill up with fresh water I run a garden hose through the forward hatch, pull the cushions aside and unscrew the cap. This cap is about the size of 6'' pizza. As for my holding tank, it's located under the starboard dinette seat that's closest to the bow. The holding tank is fairly small but works well for what we need.

Can't wait to get out on the water again.
Old 02-11-2011

garris46 is on a distinguished road
I replaced the wood board over my water tank with plastic lumber and put in a see through round access hatch Beckson, one large enough to stick my arm in. You'll want to clean it every once in awhile, algae. I'm putting in a deck fill now got tired of tearing up the bedding. 1974 MK ll
Old 04-07-2011

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
I have a 1979 Islander 30.

Fresh water tank - under port seats.
Waste Tank - v berth
water heater - right beside batteries below AC/DC panel cabinet.
Old 04-08-2011

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just installed the holding tank under the starboard settee, it seems like that's where it was located previously. I don't think there was ever a deck fitting for pump out, it had a Lectrasan system and I think that was direct discharge after it was treated. I added a deck fitting and vent.

I haven't done anything about the water tank yet, but it looks like it was set up in the v-berth like most of your boats. One of these days. Our water heater is the tankless variety, and it's located in the lazarette, just behind the galley.

Old 04-08-2011

shogan50 is on a distinguished road
How big are your respective holding tanks and what kind of water heaters do you have? Mine is a poly tank under port settee, with a deck fitting and is probably 5-6 gallons and I have a foot pump in the galley with no hot water.

Old 05-06-2011

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
fresh water - around 20-25 gallons - fill from inside the boat.
black water holding tank - probably 20 gallons - getting pumped out for the first time tonight.
water heater - have one - but don't know what kind
Old 08-29-2012

tonykeel is on a distinguished road
Re: Islander 30 Mk II Tanks

1975 I3 MkII
Old thread I know ... but in case anyone is interested, i installed pump out-on starboard midship deck just aft of aft bulkhead. Black water tank is under aft portion of starboard setee.

Water tank is under V berth with 6" fill port on top of vberth.

I have reinforced all chain plates, cut out the cabin sole under mast and replaced compression post and base. Epoxied the bottom this year after stripping off many coats of bottom paint in case anyone is interested to start a thread to discuss that sort of thing. The Islander is such a beautiful boat to sail.

Hope you are all enjoying the summer sailing season!